• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Repairing inner fenders

aussiemark

Reaction score
I have a 71 R/T, it was in bad shape when I got it; I replaced the firewall, roof, driver’s floor, Dutchman panel, trunk pan and extensions, fenders, hood, trunk lid, driver’s door skin, and passenger lower quarter; amazingly my inner fenders were good. Here is a link to my photo album, it’s a couple of years ago, but many pics. :
Challenger
Awesome workmanship it doesn't get any better then this.

Marc340

Reaction score
I would sandblast the area so you can properly assess the damage and it will make it a lot easier to weld if you decide to repair it rather then replace it.
Thanks, that’s what i throught Also. Btw for the inner fender repair you mentioned brackets. Do you mean the upper en under fender to cowl brackets ?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Adam, I revisited your restoration pics. Wow you did one nice job working the metal on that Challenger!
Dino2 (1).gif

I have a 71 R/T, it was in bad shape when I got it; I replaced the firewall, roof, driver’s floor, Dutchman panel, trunk pan and extensions, fenders, hood, trunk lid, driver’s door skin, and passenger lower quarter; amazingly my inner fenders were good. Here is a link to my photo album, it’s a couple of years ago, but many pics. :
Challenger

aussiemark

Reaction score
There are 3 brackets on each side 6 in total that join the inner fenders to the firewall, one of them has the 2 rear hood hinge bolt holes in it, one is small and goes on the corner of the firewall at the top and the last one is a long 90 degree bracket that joins the inner fender to the firewall at the bottom.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I just remembered the small bracket on the corner of the firewall joins to the inner fender brace ( the support that joins the firewall to the shock tower under the front fender) if you aren't replacing the firewall you won't need this one so you will only need 4 braces in total AMD part number 260-1570-2P and part number 260-1570-P the lower brackets (260-1570-P) may be reusable as long as they are not rusted but the top ones with the hood hinge bolt holes in them are usually rusted.

quapman

Reaction score
I've used several Dynacorn pieces and they are as nice or NICER than AMD. Dynacorn uses a heavier gauge (closer to ORIGINAL) than AMD does. I had an AMD fender that was total crap, so you can't always believe "AMD is the best".

aussiemark

Reaction score
Dynacorn are making the Challenger body shells so they must know how to make panels that actually fit, I've had problems with AMD panels as well and while they are better then nothing they are far from perfect.

Marc340

Reaction score
I've used several Dynacorn pieces and they are as nice or NICER than AMD. Dynacorn uses a heavier gauge (closer to ORIGINAL) than AMD does. I had an AMD fender that was total crap, so you can't always believe "AMD is the best".
thanks for your advice. Because Tamtaz offers a Nice 13 piece set from Dynacorn for around $ 179 ,- per side. Shipping to my country is Also cheaper. But since i live on the otter side of the oceaan it is important for me to know the quality of the material.

Marc340

Reaction score
thanks for your advice. Because Tamtaz offers a Nice 13 piece set from Dynacorn for around $ 179 ,- per side. Shipping to my country is Also cheaper. But since i live on the otter side of the oceaan it is important for me to know the quality of the material.
Sorry, I mean Tamraz

Adam

Reaction score
Good to know about Dynacorn. I saw one of their Challenger bodies at the Sema show. It looked great, but of course they are not going to bring crap to that show. I did notice they weld the door hinges to the body instead of bolts; maybe this is a good thing, those doors can be a pain to adjust...

quapman

Reaction score
FYI: Dynacorn abandoned the Challenger body program, but they do sell sub-assemblies.

Billshemi

Reaction score
I am ready to restore my 1970 Challenger 340 4 speed in the Netherlands (Europe). I already put in new carpet and a new driver’s Seat cover (legendary) . The car now needs new inner fenders (both sides) . Because i have to order these from the USA i really want to know which fenders fit the best and are the best quality. And of course where to order. Most people say AMD is the best. But what About Dynacorn? They are cheaper and you can buy a whole kit. But are they bad ? Can you please help me ? And If you have Amy suggestions they are more than welcome! Marc

View attachment 57576

View attachment 57577

View attachment 57578

View attachment 57579

View attachment 57580

View attachment 57581

Billshemi

Reaction score
I am ready to restore my 1970 Challenger 340 4 speed in the Netherlands (Europe). I already put in new carpet and a new driver’s Seat cover (legendary) . The car now needs new inner fenders (both sides) . Because i have to order these from the USA i really want to know which fenders fit the best and are the best quality. And of course where to order. Most people say AMD is the best. But what About Dynacorn? They are cheaper and you can buy a whole kit. But are they bad ? Can you please help me ? And If you have Amy suggestions they are more than welcome! Marc

View attachment 57576

View attachment 57577

View attachment 57578

View attachment 57579

View attachment 57580

View attachment 57581
Looks like you will need to replace support bar from firewall to shock tower just did my ,70 challlenger

IMG_20190211_161102894_HDR.jpg

shakercuda

Reaction score
The AMD inner fenders (as well as most of their E body parts) are incorrect in appearance for ‘70-1 E bodies. Go with the Goodmark parts there. For some reason, AMD stampings for the floor pans, cowl and inner fenders are patterned after ‘72-4 parts.

Marc340

Reaction score
The AMD inner fenders (as well as most of their E body parts) are incorrect in appearance for ‘70-1 E bodies. Go with the Goodmark parts there. For some reason, AMD stampings for the floor pans, cowl and inner fenders are patterned after ‘72-4 parts.
Thanks !

Billshemi

Reaction score
Goodmark on all my replacement parts good luck with your project my car was a bigger one then yours working on the all the little things that take time and money

IMG_20190218_161416386_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190304_155306281.jpg

IMG_20190304_155306281.jpg

IMG_20190228_125251373.jpg

IMG_20181002_175029899.jpg

Back