• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Replacement for Kelsey Hayes KH 89410 combination valve

RayL

Reaction score
Hello All,

I need to replace the Combination valve (Kelsey Hayes KH 89410) on my '73 Challenger. Power brakes. Disc up front. Drum in back. 1.031" bore master cylinder.

Planning on installing this one from Master Power Brakes: VL3360K

Anyone have experience with this valve? Or a better one to recommend?

Thanks,
Ray

pschlosser

Reaction score
This is sometimes referred to as the "dreaded proportioning valve" problem. Some were foiled by this problem and forced to use OEM parts. Using the OEM proportioning valve for front disc and rear drum solves it easy, but I don't know the specifics. I don't know much more, but I'm following this thread to learn from the outcome. Best regards to your project.

Last edited:

RayL

Reaction score
This is sometimes referred to as the "dreaded proportioning valve" problem. Some were foiled by this problem and forced to use OEM parts. Using the OEM proportioning valve for front disc and rear drum solves it easy, but I don't know the specifics. I don't know much more, but I'm following this thread to learn from the outcome. Best regards to your project.
Hey pschlosser. This valve was also used on some B-Body cars. I posted the same question on the B-Body forum and got several replies. Here is a link to that post so you can follow along there too.

Thanks,
Ray

RayL

Reaction score
You can convert to a simple, '73 A-body style 1 piece brass valve. You must replace the hard lines, however.
This is how I did my 73 Challenger and it works great no problems.
Let me know if you need more info or pics.

Thanks Gripper
Hey Gripper. I'm interested to know more about your install. Pictures of the installation and information on where to purchase the valve you used would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ray

RayL

Reaction score
If you have the stock valve you can buy a kit to rebuild it.
Muscle Car Research.
I looked into that too. Got all the info from them, but have not been able to get the switch out of my rusted KH89410 valve. So thinking of going new for this item.

Thanks,
Ray

Steve340

Reaction score
All good. Might pay to inspect the machining of the valve where the brake pipe flares seal when you get it.
A few who have purchased these valves report leaks.

moparroy

Reaction score
I tried the rebuild kit from MCR - worked ok but in the end I just could not get the proportioning valve plug near the bottom to seal. Tried several things - less / more tight - sourced (100) new o-rings - still slow leak when installed. I finally decided to swap it out for a unit I found on Amazon for hot rod use - very similar to the one Classic industries sells but in brass. Looks very similar to the Master Power Brakes unit unfinished. I believe these valves are for GM and the Camaro weight distribution is pretty similar to e-body. I had to make a bracket to mount it - that was a bit fussy - the line orientation is the same but to get the bracket to place the valve where the original one took some measure 5 times (as opposed to twice) approach. Also had to make two short adaptor lines as I wanted to leave the OE fittings in place should I ever go back. Overall installed ok and seems to be working though car is not on the road yet. Suggest you also buy the bleeder plug as not sure these auto reset as the OE one does.

RayL

Reaction score
I tried the rebuild kit from MCR - worked ok but in the end I just could not get the proportioning valve plug near the bottom to seal. Tried several things - less / more tight - sourced (100) new o-rings - still slow leak when installed. I finally decided to swap it out for a unit I found on Amazon for hot rod use - very similar to the one Classic industries sells but in brass. Looks very similar to the Master Power Brakes unit unfinished. I believe these valves are for GM and the Camaro weight distribution is pretty similar to e-body. I had to make a bracket to mount it - that was a bit fussy - the line orientation is the same but to get the bracket to place the valve where the original one took some measure 5 times (as opposed to twice) approach. Also had to make two short adaptor lines as I wanted to leave the OE fittings in place should I ever go back. Overall installed ok and seems to be working though car is not on the road yet. Suggest you also buy the bleeder plug as not sure these auto reset as the OE one does.
@moparroy - thanks for the tips. I called Inline tube about their valves and was told they no longer carried a valve for my application. That decided it for me - I'll try the Master Power Brakes VL3360K universal kit. I spoke with them and gained some confidence that it will work just fine.

Thanks,
Ray

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@RayL I had my proportioning valve rebuilt. I sent it to Brakes! Old Auto LLc -. It came back looking nice and clean. Its been installed but I can not test it yet since my car is not ready for bleeding of the brakes yet.

Back