• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Your Hydro Brake Conversion Kit Experiences

RayL

Reaction score
Asking for some feedback on hydro boost kits.

1973 Challenger Power Disc/Drum car. 383 of unknown origin, pulling only 11 inches of vacuum at idle.

I'm looking at complete kits to avoid searching/making items to adapt to my specific needs.

What kit did you use? Would you use the same one again?

What did you do for hoses? Standard hydraulic or AN type?

Any tips to share on installation like if you upgraded the power steering pump, reused the OEM Combination valve or replaced the flexible rubber lines with braided lines, etc...

These are the kits I've found so far. Any others to recommend?

Hydratech: Hydratech Braking Systems :: 1970-1974 Chrysler E Body Hydraulic Brake Assist System Listings

Sweeting Performance: Hydro-Boost Booster for 1971-1974 Charger, Challenger, Coronet, Cuda, GTX, Roadrunner, Satellite (Converting from Vacuum Booster)

Gearhead Enterprises: Hydro Brake Booster Wilwood Master Cylinder + Bracket FITS MOPAR Dodge A B E NEW | eBay

Thanks!

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
I installed the Hydratech booster you linked to along with a new power steering pump, steering gear, and related goodies below from Bergman on my 74 Challenger. Both Jim at Hydratech and Peter Bergman were great to work with and responsive to any questions I had. The installation couldn't have been much easier and the system works great.

1709694968766.png

RayL

Reaction score
I installed the Hydratech booster you linked to along with a new power steering pump, steering gear, and related goodies below from Bergman on my 74 Challenger. Both Jim at Hydratech and Peter Bergman were great to work with and responsive to any questions I had. The installation couldn't have been much easier and the system works great.

View attachment 120339
Thanks @Bret Schneider. Good to know I'm on the right track. Curious to know why you changed the steering components. Not liking that classic Mopar vague and numb PS feel? I will be looking into a new PS pump with the dual low pressure inlets while everything is apart - might as well make one big mess while I'm at it :)

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
Yep, trying to improve on that great Mopar steering of old. :)

I'm in the middle of a restomod with it. Also the car came with manual brakes and rather than fight the low vacuum condition the engine will experience I decided to forgo that pain and get the hydra boost set up. To add to the fun the engine is port injected with CNP ignition. Dyno'd at 450 HP/ 440 FT Lbs. Probably could have hit the magic 500 mark but chickened out at 6 grand. Still pretty stout for a SB 360 I think. :cool:

Reaction score
Don't even consider Sweeting. I bought their unit and I had nothing but problems with it. Customer service was awful. In the end, they wouldn't stand behind it and repair it. Finally, I gave up and replaced it with the hydratech. I agree with Bret, go with Hydratech, and you won't be disappointed.

RayL

Reaction score
Update 3/11/24:

Ordered the Hydratech hydro-boost kit today. 30 to 90 day lead time :-(

After speaking with Jim @ Hyrdratech I also ordered a Borgeson PS pump for Hydro-Boost Brake Applications (Dual low-pressure inlets).

According to Jim @ Hyrdratech, and confirmed by Borgeson, there are two Saginaw pump options depending on the type of pulley your existing Saginaw pump has:

Use part #800309 - if your Saginaw pulley is nut retained with a key-way style shaft (like mine - see image).
Use part #800323 - if your pulley is the Press-on type.

I got the Borgeson PS from Summit (BRG-800309) since I had a free shipping offer!

Now waiting for parts...

SaginawNutRetainedKeyWayPulley.jpg

Back