• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

RTV on Valve Cover Gaskets

money pit

Reaction score
Consider the Fel-Pro Performance "Cork-Lam" valve cover gaskets, set #1646... double thickness (.313"), hi-grade cork rubber with a steel center core.... retains its shape and easy to remove/reinstall. Its the only ones I use... lifts the valve up slightly for better rocker arm clearance; seals great! As others have said, you may have to trim the gasket slightly as different covers/castings have different shapes.... I've had to do this with my cast aluminum Edelebrock small block valve covers. Also, consider using studs instead of the small short bolts... the studs are a positive locator... bolts can bottom out and not provide the proper clamp load. Cork-rubber always conforms better than just rubber. No need for any chemicals such as RTV (which you want to avoid unless only applied slightly to the cover.... and then dried 24 hours before clamping and running the engine.
I just ordered a set of these gaskets from Amazon. I also installed ARP valve cover studs. Thanks

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Patients and know the limits that you are working in. It's called know how. My2cents. When I assembled my engine.Used fel pro.came with a compressed paper.Don't remember the actual product name of the material. I Thought I was getting rubber gasket with the kit.bought some latter. Made sure both surfaces were clean and true,fasteners and thread hole clean. installed gaskets used Indian head shellac on valve cover. ran engine for break in.Had a few drops of oil on the back pass side corner.got out the inch wrench,didn't use it when they were installed. and was very close torque limit.wrench could be off. when a little over and it's been ok. Have yet to install the rubber ones.

Back