• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Seat height?

Jonah Hex

Reaction score
How much distance should there be between the stock steering wheel and the seat? I’m 6’ 3” and weigh a little north of 200lbs and I have a heck of a time getting my thigh between the steering wheel and the seat. Steering column appears to be in its proper place. From the bottom of the wheel to the top of the seat only measures 4 1/2 inches with seat all the back.

70chall440

Reaction score
I don't know exactly how much but I know it isn't a lot. Are you using the stock steering wheel? Might think about going to a Tuff Wheel, it will give you some space.

Ralph

Reaction score
I had same problem went with the tuff wheel its a smaller diameter

gzig5

Reaction score
I'm about the same size and it is tight. I'm not as skinny and flexible as I was when I had my first E-body at 16yrs old. I'm putting in a Tuff Wheel to help with it. I'm also going with some aftermarket seats and if that causes a problem, I'll probably be looking into a tilt wheel.

Steve340

Reaction score
I am the same height as you and weigh 220.
I went to the Tuff Wheel and it is fine.

Ralph

Reaction score
I will one up you - I am 6'-7" 220 and fit great with the tuff wheel

Attachments

• Tuff wheel.JPG
    Tuff wheel.JPG
    917.2 KB · Views: 125

Steve340

Reaction score
Yeah you still need to "slide" in but it is much better and I like the look of the Tuff Wheel.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I think there is Something amuck here. I'm going to 1 down this. In 72 5'6" 120Lb wet.went to boot camp 3 months later 6' 145Lb. Arrived home at midnight father answered door. Yeah what do you want. He didn't recognize me? I think! 6 other kids at home. His thoughts? Crap One came back! But anyhow. In 75 bought my challenger.From 1st owner. That an other story. Had no problem get in and out. Even Duke's of Hazard's entry. I was like a slinky. long legged.79-80 removed engine to refresh. As the Decades passed Family County God came first. also about 10lb a decade. NOW at 194LB and climbing.Hope not. I fit like an OJ glove. Just my personal problems.Thank for reading. Any how here is a picture of the clearance of seat. 4 1/2 inches with seat all the back does not sound right. not or original seat? looks more like 5 1/2". A tilt wheel would be nice.

20210618_082925.jpg

chargerdon

Reaction score
I also have thigh clearance problem, right now my seat to wheel clearance is only about 4 1/4 inches when the seat is full back...more if i pull the seat forward but i'm 6'1" and long legged. Reason i have even less is that I installed a 6 way power seat into my 74 Challenger. The power seat track came from if i remember right a 1992 jeep grand cherokee. IT WAS A LOT of reworking and welding to get the track to fit the seat and the floor holes..AND dropping it INTO the seat itself to get the seat to be that low !! I built and installed it so that the wife is able to drive the car as well...(did it a total of twice...its engine scares her). . I have what i believe is the stock two spoke steering wheel. Just measured it and its about 15 1/2 inch diameter, the specs for the Tuff wheel is 15" so only half of the 1/2 " less is at the bottom. I cant see spending $165 to gain a 1/4 of an inch.

Looking on Ebay I also found a "

Grant 3-Spoke Classic Cruisin' Series Black High Gloss Vinyl Steering Wheel for only 49.95 and its specs are 12.5 diameter. Now that would make a difference. Anybody have any experience with it ?​

i_taz

Reaction score
If you have the stock 16" and just go to a 15" it will help quite a bit. With some work the Grant 246 can be a decent rimblow facsimile but it is nothing like the picture. Their clearly taking advantage of the original look with a cheap knock off. The Tuff wheel version is a better value but no wood...

70chall440

Reaction score
The Grant wheels kind of look the part of a Tuff Wheel (not a rim blow) but the spokes are very thin. I have 2 or 3 of them laying around and at least for me I would not put one into an E body. Spend the money and get one of the better reproduction of a Tuff wheel and you will be much happier.

Cratos

Reaction score
yea I went with the ididit tilt much more room not :) and a set of scat seats with more rear travel for a oversize guy like me :)

bc3j

Reaction score
I’m 6’4” 210 and just modified my entry method into the car. Going in head first and swinging my legs in is easy, simple and no problem with the stock steering wheel. Getting out is no problem.

i_taz

Reaction score
Where there's a will...

Then you cross your legs half way like your an indian to work the pedals ?

Back