• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Separating a 440 from 727 tranny

moparguy

Reaction score
Does anybody know what you have to do to separate a 440 from a 727? I unbolted it got it to separate about an inch and a half but I cant get it free. Dont know what to do. :icon_sad:
Thanks.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I agree. Did you unbolt the flex plate from the converter? If you haven't done so, spray one bolt and hole while it is bolted togerher with paint. This way it will go back together easier. The bolt pattern is staggered. You will be able to get three bolts in but not the forth if you don't have everything correct. The paint makes it easier to do.

74 challenger

Reaction score
was the tranny good or burnt up ?if burnt up you might have welded the torque converter to the shaft.is it catching on the firewall. need more info to help. yes i have had a torque converter weld itself to the shaft.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I always take the converter out with the trans. It keeps from getting the shaft damaged. It also holds the fluid so that when you pull the trans the converter does not empty itself on you.

ramenth

Reaction score
I always take the converter out with the trans. It keeps from getting the shaft damaged. It also holds the fluid so that when you pull the trans the converter does not empty itself on you.

If the car is running you can always unhook the flow line to the cooler to a catch can and crank the car for just a few seconds. Good way of not taking a shower as you're getting the trans down.

Gotta agree with those who have chimed in looking for more info. Is the trans still in the car or are you separating on the floor?

moparguy

Reaction score
I got it off that same day guys and yeah i felt like an idiot I had left those 4 bolts in with the flex plate. Took em out and it came off in a cynch. thanks for the input though.

Back