• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Side Panel Dye

money pit

Reaction score
I bought some rear side panels on Ebay for my Barracuda. They were originally black but were dyed white. I would like to dye them back to black. The dye has some flaking. What is the best way to remove the flakes and prep the surface for the new dye. I heard it's a 3 step process. Cleaning, adhesive spray, then the spray dye. Do I need to go over the surface with a scotch pad first? Thanks.

cuda joe

Reaction score
that is a tough one may be an air blow gun or pressure washer not on to high a pressure and a wide fan i would be reluctent to use chemicals

heminut

Reaction score
When I did mine I scrubbed them with a scotchbrite pad using water and Dawn dish soap, and did it a couple of times. You want to make sure you get all the loose stuff off. After making sure they were rinsed good and thouroghly dry I then sprayed the panels with SEM Adhesion Promoter and then the SEM dye. After 20 years they still look good.

money pit

Reaction score
When I did mine I scrubbed them with a scotchbrite pad using water and Dawn dish soap, and did it a couple of times. You want to make sure you get all the loose stuff off. After making sure they were rinsed good and thouroghly dry I then sprayed the panels with SEM Adhesion Promoter and then the SEM dye. After 20 years they still look good.
I used a scotch fine scuff pad and cleaned it with a cleaning solution they sell at Classic Industries. I dyed the panels without using the adhesion promoter. I hope the dye will hold. The panels are for the rear, so it won't get much wear. Thanks

Back