• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Smoke From Steering Column

ZNormT6

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was testing out my hazard flashers on my 1970 AAR 'Cuda and the hazards would only work with a turn signal on. They were blinking really slowly and then I saw smoke coming out of the steering column and smelled an odor. I then immediately shut them off. Now my turn signals blink extremely fast. Any ideas on what went wrong? I'm going to be keeping a fire extinguisher handy until I can fix it :icon_keel:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a new turn signal switch unit in the column. I would disconnect the battery and not drive the car until you get it figured out. Would hate to have one less AAR in the world. Welcome to the site. Post some pics of your car.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Get yourself a factory service manual for your car for starters, it's a must have piece of reference material. You have to pull the steering wheel to access the turn signal switch.
welcome to the site from the Motor City!

ZNormT6

Reaction score
Ok. Do you know how to take the steering wheel off? I have the factory Chrysler wheel. Also, do I have to take the crush can off? Thanks.

js29

Reaction score
3 screws should be philips head on the back for the steering wheel and yes the crush can will have to come off

Back