• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

So...who makes the best 440 stroker kit?

HemiDave

Reaction score
I've been out of the game for a while but now I'm back. So what's changed? Are the usual suspects still in charge or is there some new tech or parts to consider?
Build will be close to max street using hydraulic lifters. No power adders....well, maybe nitrous or a procharger in the future. So you can see I have a solid plan.....ha!

I have a few 440 blocks and as I remember, some are better than others, kinda like the 400 blocks.

Still a Hemi guy but I want to build this 440 for the 73 Cuda. It now has a completely built but never started 408 in it but that's getting moved to a A body Cuda.

Thanks!!

BTW, just picked this up last weekend...anyone used a Hemi intake made for 4 Webers?

20230303_102614.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well I have used more than a dozen 440 Source kits good value for the $$
some in race engines & a couple using blowers , I like the 440-512Ci kits
If you start going near 500 " in a 400 block the oil ring is over the wrist pin , more of a race only build than a street strip .

HemiDave

Reaction score
Just wanted to make sure 440 Source was still in good graces with most people...I know how those things go. I bought a bunch of their Hemi stuff back in 2008 when they were closing it out. Seems to be good quality.

I was looking at the 512 and 528 kits. Any big reason to choose 512 over 528? Just simpler with less clearance grinding?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
For me it comes down to rod ratio , I firmly believe longer rod ratio is more important than 16 extra CI , longer rod ratio increases the dwell time at TDC for more complete combustion & the piston moves away slower allowing more time for the pressure to work .
Clearance to windage tray & oil pick up as well as the bottom of the cylinders is also a factor . 440 Source has a stroker windage tray available with extra clearance BTW.

HemiDave

Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks Psycho!

Having fun in Panama? I might be back in Ireland within the next few months.

heminut

Reaction score
Yes I am , I moved here 12 years ago & I have not regretted it at all , life is good .
Chryco my friend, I have known you since the Cuda-Challenger.com days, back when we all chipped in and built that Cuda for our military vet friend! You have always been a wealth of outstanding info for this community. I'm glad you have found your place, but I do kinda wish you were still in the states. At least we can still pick your brain on the 'net!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I am happy to help always , it has been a long ride starting around 1999 when we created CC.com , I tried to get into the US for most of my life but couldn't get a green card . I finally looked further south , I can live well here on 15% of what it was costing in Canada without working 100 hrs / week , I don't get to build the cars like I used to but life is a trade off .
I have been trying to get back to where we on these sites would help people get their projects moving forward as in the old days but everything seems to have changed & it is hard to understand why . I would love to help Dreamer rather than see him sell right now for example . I flew into a number of places to help build cars for many people over the years & have made many good friends !
Building Dons Cuda was awesome ! Everyone was donating parts time or money & still remember Don Garlitz saying how well the paint was done for example & I drove from Mi into Ohio to help finish the car a week or so before Carlisle , we helped change a broken door window at Carlisle in the motel parking lot & a fix couple of other issues .
Great times !
I am far from well off but as far as great friends & memories I have been blessed .

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by the best. Do you mean best bargain. Then 440 Source kits are good for the money. If you are going to make big power. It can get more expensive with some better quality name crank and rods.

Back