• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

STARTER ISSUES

Big J

Reaction score
I took off my headers to replace my starter because when my engine got hot my starter would not work . And Now my new starter makes grinding noise. Got another starter and it does the same thing! The ring gear look ok
I see nothing in the way to make this happen. Any help ? I have a 1970 Challenger RT 383 auto.

Ralph

Reaction score
Some bell housings has a dual pattern for one of the starter bolts - maybe in the wrong slot.

It happened to me when using a 130 tooth flywheel it would barely catch and grind - just took it out and checked the holes.

Big J

Reaction score
Some bell housings has a dual pattern for one of the starter bolts - maybe in the wrong slot.

It happened to me when using a 130 tooth flywheel it would barely catch and grind - just took it out and checked the holes.

Daves69

Reaction score
Being an "auto" not much you can get wrong is there? Starter locates off a stud and the nose pilot I believe. What starter are you bolting on? Some "mini" have a clearance issue with the block I hear.
1628604444264.png

70chall440

Reaction score
It could be the starter itself or it might just be a spacing issue. Does your trans have the thin sheet metal debris plate still on it?

Big J

Reaction score
No my starter does not have a thin sheet metal. I took the starter to Advance Auto to have tested, it tested good. Any idea where to get the thin sheet metal ?

Thank you for your help.

70chall440

Reaction score
No my starter does not have a thin sheet metal. I took the starter to Advance Auto to have tested, it tested good. Any idea where to get the thin sheet metal ?

Thank you for your help.
Look at the Mopar transmission guys for starters (or perhaps any local transmission shop) or just put an ad up here and/or your local craigslist.

moparleo

Reaction score
Explain " Chrysler" mini starter. What is the actual starters application as they didn't make "mini" starters when your car was new.
Picture or part number of what you got will help to diagnose your problem.

Big J

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you all for the input I got.

I did fix the problem with the starter. I was caused by the The adapter you put on so the wire will not hit the headers.

Again thank you all. You made me look at this then I found the problem.

Big J

Back