• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter Keeps Engaging with Ignition Switch Off

moparnut74

Reaction score
Hello. I have an issue with my starter cracking even with the ignition switch turned off ? Bum ignition switch ????

moparnut74

Reaction score
Hello. Starter won't stop when you turn off the ignition switch. Had to disconnect negative battery cable.

Thanks

Cranky

Reaction score
What happened to me once is the area on the starter where the terminals are cracked. It happened when I went to start it up and when it started, I released the key but the started stayed engaged so I shut off the key. Engine shut off but the starter kept going. Is that what's happening?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
There is a start position on the key switch and a run position. The start position could be bad. The solenoid could be bad also. I would check it first. Did you check with the ground cable as Leo suggested?

burdar

Reaction score
Unplug the yellow wire at the relay on the inner fender. That will stop the starter from turning on while you test.(if the ignition switch is the problem) Check for power at the yellow wire. It should only have power in the START position.

Back