• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter wiring

northstart

Reaction score
Hi,
My1970 Challenger has not been started for >25 years. Previous owner has messed around with the wiring under the hood.
I started to go through the wiring and to test if starter motor is working or not. It is now wired as shown in the picture but does not react when jumping the two uppermost connections (the big one with a nut and the rectangular one with a screw) in starter relay with screwdriver. I don't have steering column in place, so there is nothing attached to the IGN spade.
The battery is brand new and showed 12.68V voltage.

Should this wiring to make the starter run?

Mopar 440 starter wiring.jpg

moparroy

Reaction score
It should - you are basically starter across the battery. Even if the battery is weak you should hear the solenoid engage

moparroy

Reaction score
You are right - I misinterpreted the starter drawing if that small terminal is the solenoid - I took that as ground. Need to ground -ve battery

northstart

Reaction score
You need to apply power to the smaller wire going to the starter, not ground
Thanks for the advice!

Would this wiring work then?
I assumed that when you feed 12V to the starter relay IGN terminal (#3 in the picture), it connects terminals #1 and #2 and lets power go also to the smaller terminal in starter.

Mopar 440 starter wiring_v2.jpg

Katfish

Reaction score
That will work to test, but #4 should go to a NSS so the car will only start if in Park , Neutral, or clutch is depressed.

Last edited:
Back