• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering Column

money pit

Reaction score
Is the steering column and the steering shaft the same for a power steering and non power steering car? I would like to convert to power steering on one of my cars. I already have the power steering unit from another car. Thanks.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
NO.Shaft length is different.
Approx 7" different in length from the bearing to the coupler
Power Steering columns are shorter.

20200521_131259.jpg

.jpg

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score
Is the steering column and the steering shaft the same for a power steering and non power steering car? I would like to convert to power steering on one of my cars. I already have the power steering unit from another car. Thanks.
Do you know if I can replace only the steering shaft or do I need to replace the whole column? Thanks.

money pit

Reaction score
I used the same column and just replaced the shaft on my Cuda when I converted it.
Were you able to get the steering shaft at a reasonable price? I looked on ebay, they are running about $350, just for the shaft. Thanks

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
So what I would do is shorten the shaft. If you look at the shaft one can see the two break pins. they break in the event of an accident and the shaft collapses. When I rebuild mine took it apart cleaned and reassembled. Used a nylon hot glue gun to re inject the pin and grooved cavity area. takes very little. You have nothing to loose to take it apart and look. don't drop it or you start all over. Also For 9 bucks ER-16 bearing in the end.I think it's a better fix on ebay. not 35. SER205-16, ER205-16, ER-16 1" Bore Insert Bearing with Snap Ring 1"x52mm | eBay

search for the post : Plastic steering shaft connectors broke .​

lot of other good info and a link to a video of any and everything you need to know about a steering column.

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
Were you able to get the steering shaft at a reasonable price? I looked on ebay, they are running about $350, just for the shaft. Thanks
Back when I did mine there were still some parts cars around. I got mine from a junk Challenger that a friend of mine had. What Challenger RTA suggested can certainly be done also.

Back