• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stick with 489 Case or change ot 741/ 742?

cv70chall

Reaction score
I have a 489 case with a 2:76 gear set and am planning on upgrading to a 3:23 set and possibly LSD. I have a 904 and no plans currently to change it to a 727, as I don't race and generally am not rough on the transmission.
How does the 489 case stack up against the 742 and 741 cases?

Daves69

Reaction score
489 is allegedly the strongest with a tapered pinion. 742 would be next. Never had a 741. I've only busted ring gears, axles, u-joints, and wheel studs. Never had a pinion snap or come loose yet. Of course I'm not in it anymore like in the good old days.
I like either those.

moparleo

Reaction score
Here the lowdown on all differentials that were offered by Mopar:
http://www.waywardgarage.com/tech/rearaxlemopar.html
Actually over all, the 742 is the best you can get if you are looking for a sure-grip unit as these are rebuild able. The 489 are the cone type and not rebuild able. Different people will say that you can, but it can not be done properly.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree that the 742 is the best , the 489 is fine as long as you get rid of the crush sleeve & install a solid spacer with shims , the best sure grip is the Eaton Tru Trac , I would talk to Dr Diff / Cass in Mt

Back