• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stripe removal on 73 cuda

Ralph

Reaction score
I want to remove the large black stripe I have on my 73 cuda. Its been replaced somewhere along the lines so not original.

I assume that the vinyl piece was put on with no glue.

Question : does it have glue on the backside of the stripe and how do I get it off.

I was thinking about some moisture and a heat gun on low setting, peeling it back slowly.

Will this damage the paint when removing has anyone had an experience with this.

Thanks to all

Best Ralph

lastcuda

Reaction score
I tried removing mine from a 74 cuda with a heat gun and plastic scraper blade. Mine was white stripe on black. It didn't work too well and still pulled some paint. I ended up sanding mine off with an orbital sander trying to take decal only but ended up painting over where it came off. It will do until I repaint the car and put stripes back. I found out after that body shops use a rubber eraser-type wheel on a drill or angle grinder to remove decals. Takes time but does a clean job if you don't go to fast.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have used a heat gun to remove the stripe. It may have changed the color of the paint underneath the stripe.

js29

Reaction score
3m makes A tool it looks like A big round eraser you put on A drill. work it right to left for best results. should do the trick.

Ralph

Reaction score
3m makes A tool it looks like A big round eraser you put on A drill. work it right to left for best results. should do the trick.

Thanks to all

reborn73

Reaction score
I have removed decals from dozens of work trucks. A heat gun, not very close and on low, and a lot of patience will do the trick.

Racer57

Reaction score
Heat gun set on low. Take your time. Use Prep-All which can be purchased at auto parts stores to remove any residue.

Ralph

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

Worried now about faded paint.

Car was repainted and new strip before I bought it. So do not know how long its been on there.

I have had it about 2 years and looks relatively new so could be 5-10 years maybe - no way to tell.

Ralph

Back