• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Suggestions for aftermarket steering wheel

Ed72cuda

Reaction score
My steering wheel is foam which probably means it's aftermarket. The foam is pretty beat up. Can anyone suggest an aftermarket wheel that has a classic look and a reliable horn button or switch? I say this because the Grant steering wheels seem to have a spring loaded center horn cap (horn sounds when pressed) held in place by a press fit. I'm afraid if the horn cap loosens and pops off the horn will sound non stop. This happened to me once before. I prefer a steering wheel with horn buttons built into the center or spokes. But it must be a reliable design.

Ed72cuda

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my wheel. Is it stock or aftermarket? Anyone know what brand or model it is?

image_1429798263725.jpg

Ed72cuda

Reaction score
Nice Cuda Ed. From your picture, it appears I may have the stock center horn button, which I assume is a reliable design (won't pop off some day)? Does anyone know what aftermarket steering wheel I have (Grant sells a lot that look like mine)? And how the stock horn button bolts on? I'm also curious how an aftermarket wheel bolts on with a stock horn button.

72Cuda340

Reaction score
I know 70-71 had a couple different styles, that looks like one of those... but I have no idea if its an original one. I see there are a few complete stock 72-74 steering wheel/horn center cap "ready-to-go" auctions on eBay right now if you want to keep it original. Best wishes!

Ed72cuda

Reaction score
Thanks, Ed.
I think what I have is a Grant 846 Classic Nostalgia (foam grip) wheel. It looks a lot like mine. And Grant's website says it has the same bolt pattern as the original Tuff Wheel so it is a direct replacement. I guess the previous owner took the OEM wheel and installed this $180 wheel. Mystery solved! I just want an aftermarket wheel (to save $) in the same location from the turn signal lever. The foam on mine is chewed up.

Ed72cuda

Reaction score
Updates: after searching eBay my old worn out wheel may be an original "Tuff Wheel". I guess the way to know for sure is to look for factory markings on the back of it. The Grant aftermarket wheel looks similar. Diameter may also be a clue: I believe the OEM Tuff Wheel measures 14.25" outside diameter.

The OEM wheel you have with the round holes is apparently also for 1970-74 Barracudas and Challengers. Not the OEM Tuff Wheel option.

I'm hoping others chime in on dimensions of their Tuff Wheels.

72Cuda340

Reaction score
People often say 70-74 but it's not true. 70-71 had 2 different styles, that Tuff Wheel thing and a RimBlow design... The 72-74 Challengers and Barracudas, (Cudas), all had the steering wheel like the one in my pic, and nothing before 72 had it. It always annoys me when I read "For 70-74" when they were completely different. I like the look of the 70-71 options but wanted to stay original for my car. Best wishes with your search :)

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You have a factory Tuff Wheel. It was optional from the factory on A and B bodies only. Why they left it off of the E I have no idea. The 70-71 E had a few styles; 3 spoke wood grain, 3 spoke coachman grain, 3 spoke with half horn ring, and rim blow. The 72-74 E had the 2 spoke with the holes in the spokes.

rt63

Reaction score
Yearone has your steering wheel for sale and they also have 20 to 30% off coupons.I just dropped 1200 on a rimblow restoration for my 71.You can see a pic of it in my profile.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The Grant wheel similar to the Tuff wheel you have will work , you just need to tap 3 small holes to mount the factory horn switch

Ed72cuda

Reaction score
Thanks guys! You've convinced me my 72 cuda came with the 2-spoke with holes (which I don't prefer the looks of) and someone changed it to the Tuff Wheel (which looks better to me).

I also conclude an OE Tuff Wheel is 14.25" outside diameter while the Grant replica is 15" so that's how u tell them apart. They both came in foam, although they refurbish OE ones now in leather?

plumgtx

Reaction score
i agree with challenger, looks like the original factory tuff wheel. quite a few places remake them. a good option to have

Back