• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tail Panel Color ?

oddio

Reaction score
I am in the process of painting my '73 Challenger Rallye. I am painting it B-5. What is the correct color for the tail panel. I have seen black, a textured silver and body color. Where the different options?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ramenth

Reaction score
Do you have the data plate and/or broadcast sheet? Should be a call out for this option on yours.

burdar

Reaction score
There iS no need for the broadcast sheet. This is an easy question but you are going to find it hard to duplicate the factory apearence.

In 1972 the tailpanel could have been painted two different ways. In 73-74 the tailpanel was painted only one way.

In 72 the Challenger Rallye was its own model. By that I mean if you have a Rallye, the VIN will start with JS23. The base Challenger in 72 had a VIN that started with JH23. In 73-74 the Rallye was just an option package on the base Challenger. Because of this, all 73-74 Challengers have a VIN that starts with JH23.

The 72 Rallye cars have thier tailpanels painted black. The correct black is called "organisol" and it has a texture to it. It is the same paint used on the Challenger T/A and AAR Cuda hoods. The area around the tail lights on the 72 Rallye cars should be painted with med/dark argent. That is a heavily textured paint that has some metal flake in it.

The 72 base model Challengers had there tailpanels painted just the opposite of the Rallye's. The tailpanel was painted med/dark argent and the area around the tail lights was painted with organisol black.

In 73-74 since there was no separate Rallye model, ALL the tailpanels were painted the same...just like the base models in 72. They should be med/dark argent with organisol black around the tail lights.

Now comes the bad part. The correct argent paint hasn't been made in years. A few companies still have some of the origonal stuff left but they only use it to restore parts that they sell. They don't sell the paint itself since there is so little of it left.

Totally Auto sells both light and med/dark argent as well as organisol black in spray can form but the argent isn't 100% correct. The light argent is way too light and the med/dark argent is too dark. Right now however, this is probably your best bet. Definatly go with the darker argent because the light stuff really looks bad on the back of the 72-74 Challengers.

My 73 is at the bodyshop right now and they are going to play around with mixing the two shades to come up with something in between. At the Mopar Nats 09, I went around and looked at all the 72-74 Challengers. I only found 2 that were painted correctly. One was a survivor car and one was restored. I had paint samples of each of the Totally Auto argent colors as well as a test spray of a mixture of the two. The mixture was very close to the correct color. It needed to be darkened up just a little. For now I would definatly go with the darker argent instead of the light.

Last edited:

burdar

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of NOS Challenger tail light housings that were at the Mopar Nats this year. This is how the base model in 72 should be painted as well as all 73-74 Challengers.
5407866-IMG_50941.gif

5407868-IMG_50961.gif

If you look close, you will see some black showing through the argent paint in some areas. This is because the whole tail light housing was sprayed with the organisol black first...then the argent was sprayed over it. The accual tailpanel on the car wasn't ever sprayed with orgaisol so there could have been a slight color difference between the two parts from the factory when the cars were new.

oddio

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the great info. I see that Totally auto has it in spray cans, but is there anywhere I can get that in quarts so I can spray with my gun set up?

Thanks again for the all the great info, burdar!

e

burdar

Reaction score
NO

The only place to get argent that you can apply yourself is in a spray can. Eastwood has an argent paint in a can as well but it is the light stuff. Krylon has some textured "Fusion" paint that is a great match to the Totally Auto stuff but I don't know how it holds up over time. The Totally Auto paint is accually automotive grade paint that is put into a spray can.

The argent sample that is fairly close to origonal was achieved by first spraying a sample card with the med/dark argent. Then the light argent was sprayed over the base while it was still wet. That resulted in a color that was a little darker than the light argent. That is still too light so...my painter is going to try and darken it up just a little more.

There is a company in Washington or Oregon(I can't remember which) called AllTrim. They still have some of the origonal formula left but they don't sell it. Once their supply is gone...that's it. I don't know if you could send your car out to them to have them spray it or not. The pictures of med/dark argent on their website still look too dark compaired to the NOS pictures I posted. Personally, I'm going to try and match the NOS pictures the best I can and be done with it.

Last edited:

oddio

Reaction score
Well spray cans it is I guess. My car is not a stock resto, so I am sure the med/dark argent will work fine for me.

Thanks.

burdar

Reaction score
Please post some pictures of it when you are done.

FistyMopar

Reaction score
WAIT dont buy that stuff just yet, go find the puff can section at your local h-ware store and get 2 cans of "cast aluminum" maybe 2 different kinds. Ive used this before for touch up and am very pleased. Try it on something and youll be amazed how close it looks to the real deal, and how much cheaper!

burdar

Reaction score
The Totally Auto paint is pretty expensive but it's real automotive grade paint that they put in a spray can.

Some people have used Krylon "Fusion" spray paint with good results. Some even claim that the texture is closer to "factory" with the Krylon paint too. The only thing I question is how it will hold up to the elements/regular washings exc... I guess time will tell.

73b3challenger

Reaction score
Hi i did my back 73 challenger whit paint i got from AJS resto the gray is daker the the eastwood and look pretty close to the original color .It hard to see ib n the pic but it close The pic of the two gray is one eastwood and the other from AJS .He sells them for about 26.00$ a can plus shipping .If you whant his email let me no.

challenger 295.jpg

challenger 277.jpg

burdar

Reaction score
That darker color really looks great. The light stuff just doesn't look right on the back of these cars.

One thing I will tell you though...if you are going for a stock look. The argent wrapped up into the trunk lip about an inch. It wasn't masked off where you did it. It needs to extend about another inch tward the trunk opening. I thought I had a picture of my car but I couldn't find it.

Back