• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Temp gauge

booyaballer

Reaction score
My 70 challenger has a 360 engine. My temp gauge seems to be toward the high end. I would expect it should be around halfway. Does anyone roughly know what the temp would be at the midpoint and high point? i used a laser temp reader and it says 180-190. average.

moparleo

Reaction score
Perfect reason to get a modern gauge. Either digital or the old mechanical/direct type. One of the first mods we did in the 60/70s was to replace the stock stuff.
A lot of things effect the running temp. Obviously a 70 car didn't come with a 360. So was it a used 360 that was just put in with no mods/upgrades ? Likely not, so what is the rest of the story....
What mods, timing, compression, a/c, exhaust, carb type, type/size radiator, fan, clutch type, shroud, thermostat type/degree, coolant type/% , radiator cap lb rating, ....
Modern cars run in the low 200°-210° range.
Idling, driving , speed all effect temp. Middle of the gauge may be fine or not since you don't know what the actual temp is just like you never really know exactly how much gas is in the gas tank, just an approximation that changes as the gauge goes up or down not at the same rate.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I saved this picture (not mine) from years ago. I don't know where the laser temp reader was pointed.

Attachments

• Temperature1.jpg
    Temperature1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 116

Steve340

Reaction score
I believe the factory would have calibrated the original gauge/sender to read about 185-190 mid sweep.
As the years go by changes to senders/voltage regulators etc could affect were that gauge is reading even if your engine is running dead on 185.
Thinking of the gauge/sender and wiring as a circuit any changes will alter were the needle runs.

Katfish

Reaction score
That's funny, I posted that pic a long time ago
Temp was measured right at the thermostat housing.

booyaballer

Reaction score
Perfect reason to get a modern gauge. Either digital or the old mechanical/direct type. One of the first mods we did in the 60/70s was to replace the stock stuff.
A lot of things effect the running temp. Obviously a 70 car didn't come with a 360. So was it a used 360 that was just put in with no mods/upgrades ? Likely not, so what is the rest of the story....
What mods, timing, compression, a/c, exhaust, carb type, type/size radiator, fan, clutch type, shroud, thermostat type/degree, coolant type/% , radiator cap lb rating, ....
Modern cars run in the low 200°-210° range.
Idling, driving , speed all effect temp. Middle of the gauge may be fine or not since you don't know what the actual temp is just like you never really know exactly how much gas is in the gas tank, just an approximation that changes as the gauge goes up or down not at the same rate.
I'm learning as I go. Probably slower than most. I had no idea so much is a factor affecting the temp. Most of all right now, I'm just trying to make sure I don't blow it up as I learn/work through all the issues my car has.

I know little about the engine other than according to the engine tag its from 1993 and I was told it has a "purple cam." It has MSD ignition, six pak, no A/C, TTI headers, and yes it has a fan and radiator lol.

Maybe its easier to ask at what temp would it be critical so i don't blow up my engine.

Thanks for the feedback!

Steve340

Reaction score
The best way (but not the safest) is to check the gauge with a temperature probe immersed in the water of the top tank.
It is best done by two people. One ready to put the radiator cap on and the other in the car calling out the position he sees on the temperature gauge. Don't run higher than 190 it is too close to the boiling point of water.
I luckily have a calibrated gauge and thermocouple.
On an older V8 190 -200 is OK. In traffic they can go up a bit.
If it goes to 220 or higher you may have a problem with something.

Last edited:
Back