• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

The Great Clutch Size Debate

Cudaized

Reaction score
I’m writing this post to help my fellow Big Block owners. I have been around ‘Cudas since 1970 when my dad bought me an Ultra Violet 440+6 , 4spd for getting into college on a scholarship (cheaper to buy a car than pay for school) . Although I never drove a 4 spd I told him that’s what I wanted. You didn’t dare get an automatic trans back then. I picked the car up from the dealership and bucked and stalled out of the showroom and most of the way home until an 18 wheeler driver got tired of stopping behind me and offered to show me how to drive it. A half hour later I was zooming around the neighborhood. My inexperience with 4 speeds allowed me to become very familiar with clutches….as I needed 3 replaced in the first 6 months.
Unfortunately as we get older our interests change and old friends go to make room for new. So in late 1977 the Cuda was sold for $1,500 to buy an engagement ring. The car buyer was a friend who shipped it to Puerto Rico and a few months later totaled it on a drag strip and almost killed himself. Lucky for me, my new wife realized I missed my Cuda and convinced me to go out and find another. So in 1978 I took $3,200 of our wedding gift money and bought my 1970 Vitamin C, numbers matching 440 +6, 4 spd, Cuda which I still own today….and yes, we are still married.
Now for the point of all this B.S…… after all these years it gets hard to remember the right parts needed to keep the old Cuda running right. So when I needed a new clutch about 2 years ago I went to the new fangled internet to search. I started to see stuff about different size bell housings, 10.95 inch, 10.5 inch clutches and was a little confused because I remembered burning up 11 inch clutch discs on my first Cuda and I knew that was original equipment. So I opted for the 10.5 to make sure it fit. I really wasn’t happy with the new disc it looked flimsy and had 8 light weight springs instead of the 5 heavy springs the old larger discs had. That clutch lasted for 2 years. But, since I rarely drive the car that was less than 300 miles….I do like to get on it when I do drive it. So this spring I decided to pull that clutch out and began another internet search. There seemed to be a lot of confusion about a 10.95 inch and 11 inch disc with use on the 10.95 inch scalloped pressure plate. So I decided to use my old worn out memory as a guide and ended up with these results:
For a pressure plate I choose the McLeod Scalloped 10.95 inch part # 360153. (Includes special mounting bolts). For the disc I choose the 11 inch Hays part #40-220. Now I was a little worried about the 11 inch size being too big… but I did like the fact that it had the 5 heavy springs as my original clutch disc. Visually it appeared to fit right, but I still took the set up to a friend of mine that runs a machine shop. He raced quite a few hemi cars back in the day and still works on some. He agreed that the .05 inch difference was not a problem. So I’m here to tell you that this particular set up worked perfectly. My car does have the original big over the clutch pedal spring. The pedal effort was just like original and the clutch really hooks up great. Also remember that my car is original and has the 130 tooth flywheel and aluminum bell housing. Hope this helps someone with the never ending clutch size debate.

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

js29

Reaction score
what part of the peoples republic of new york were you from! i am in the central area between Syracuse and utica. sharp cuda you got there.

Cudaized

Reaction score
I lived in the great Borough of Brooklyn NY for 48 years. Raced the 1st Cuda on weekends at Marginal Street, Long Dock, BQE at 86th street & the Verrazzano Bridge (we would block off the bridge exit ramp, lol) . Sometimes we would go out to Cross Bay Blvd in Queens and run..Street racing was the best !!

Last edited:

Racer57

Reaction score
I installed the exact same pressure plate last year and 1 of the 3 fingers was not set the same as the other two. Caused major issues with the travel and slipping. Took quite awhile until I finally figured out what was wrong. McLeod admitted that a few had got out with that issue. Told me to ship it to them at my expense and they would rebuild it and ship it back. @#$%!@ them !! I bought a different brand. I'm 99.99999999999999999999% sure you will not have the same issues. I just wanted you to be aware.

js29

Reaction score
I lived in the great Borough of Brooklyn NY for 48 years. Raced the 1st Cuda on weekends at Marginal Street, Long Dock, BQE at 86th street & the Verrazzano Bridge (we would block off the bridge exit ramp, lol) . Sometimes we would go out to Cross Bay Blvd in Queens and run..Street racing was the best !!
ah the good old day's i am a country boy, not much street racing around hear. but i do love the curves so it was more road racing in this heck of the wood's.

Cudaized

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. So far so good with mine. But I'll keep an eye out for any problems. I really don't advocate any particular brand, just wanted to help those that are confused about the 10.95 - 11" disc confusion.

Back