• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ticking on a crate 360

dfrazz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a ticking on the right side of a crate 360. It seems to increase and decrease with the throttle. My guess is its a header leak and can be solved with a gasket replacement, but I'm open to advice on what else it could be.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
header gasket is where I would start , get good quality gaskets , Copper or Alum if possible

moparleo

Reaction score
Just use a stethoscope to verify leak. Take Chryco's advice and use a metal gasket, but also use locking header bolts, like Stage 8. There are others but they cost about the same. Average $50.00 but well worth it. Tighten once and forget.

dfrazz

Reaction score
Just use a stethoscope to verify leak. Take Chryco's advice and use a metal gasket, but also use locking header bolts, like Stage 8. There are others but they cost about the same. Average $50.00 but well worth it. Tighten once and forget.

Thanks, they are on order now. I assume I still need to torque them right?

dfrazz

Reaction score
Hello again everyone,
So I replaced the header gaskets with copper gaskets, tighten the new Stage 8 bolts down following the head gasket pattern, no RTV, and when I fired her up lots of backfiring and ticking on both sides. I know I have to do a heat cycle which I let the temp get up to about 190 before shutting her off to cool down. Tell me this is going to get a lot better when I tighten the bolts again in the morning, or did I seriously mess something up.

Back