• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Time for some help, getting ready for Motorhead Garage

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Right now, I'm thinking 340 6pack Crate, with the Tremec Magnum 6 speed tranny, Moser 8 3/4 rearend, TTI headers, new suspension, 4 wheel Disc brakes and add an RT hood. Might change on the engine, but right now it's where I'm leaning.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Sounds pretty flicking good to me! I'm excited to hear more about how this whole thing works.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Me too, she told me to call her after the first of the year with my list, so should know more then. The first show of the year is March 1st

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
I'm not up to date on many of the new HP parts, that's why I'm asking for help for ideas. I know most of you follow all the new parts that are out, I'm just trying to make sure I get the best setup I can because it's a once in a lifetime thing.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
I think the hardest thing is trying to make up my mind if I should try to keep it period correct with the 340, 360, or going with Value and horse power? Can't make up my mind

ramenth

Reaction score
Couple of things to consider when selecting your engine:

I like the ideas on here. Three deuces can get your blood flowing, so can big cubes fuel injection. But are you able to work on multiple carbs and OBD set ups?

You'll get the car back in running condition, ready to drive and blast and have fun with it, but two, three, five years down the line when the car needs work are you going to be able to work on it yourself or have to pay the price to someone who can?

Yes, they have some slick laptop set ups for aftermarket fuel injection/COP set ups going into our older cars, but buying the hardware is only 10% of the battle. Knowing how to read the PIDS and translating the data to do the necessary repairs is the other 90%. And your talking programmable PCM's, so being able to take that into account while making those necessary repairs is going to add into the frustration.

Now, if you can't do it yourself, then you're going to have to pay someone to do it for you. Got someone in the area who knows how to play with the programmable stuff?

Then you get into multiple carb set ups and most guys look at them, as far as tuning, like the damned things are going to jump off the intake and bite their heads off. If you can't work on 'em, then you're having to take the car to someone who can, and these days finding a mechanic who even knows what a carb is is like pulling teeth, let alone putting three inline.

I'm not trying to be a downer, here, but one of the things about dreaming big is dreaming within capabilities, too. It's fine to think about the here and now, but try to think about the later, too.

As far as opening this thread, thanks for including the site in your dreams. I'm honored.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
You make some great points, this is why I'm asking for help. I'm just trying to cover all my bases, I'm looking for the best all around engine that covers all these thoughts. This is why I turned to the forum, becuae you guys know things that I don't.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
If your car was used as a driver, with a 1/4 mile race now and again would you choose the 360 magnum, or 340 6 pack? The 6 pack can be a good driver with only the center unit working under normal drive, and the 2 outside units when you need power. Please share your thoughts, getting close to making my choice.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If my car is to be used as a driver, I would stay away from carbs if possible. It doesn't look like Ethenol is going away. It kills carbs. Also a carb was designed to be used with heavier fuel. The 360 Magnum would be nice with EFI or FAST fuel injection. New fuel injection kits are easy to use.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
There's just so many things to think about with the way fuel is right now, I can't make up my mind. I change from day to day, because something new always comes into play. I have eveything but the engine picked out, I just can't make up my dang mind. One minute I want to go period correct, and the next I think If I want to drive it for years to come I better update it to roll with the future! I go from 340 all the way to 6.1 Hemi all in one day.

ramenth

Reaction score
I thought this would be easy, but for some reason it's not. atleast for me it's not. :)

Decisions, decisions, decisions. lol

I can't disagree with Challenger6pak on his logic for going fuel injection. One of the reason's, as stated, is that ethanol is here to stay. Most of today's FI systems are designed to take that into account.

Fuel injection also offers some others advantages. Instant start, which means less cylinder wash and less wear and tear on the rings and bearings, less gas making it's way into the oil. (Think about it: these days 200,000 miles on a modern car is nothing. Once upon a time 100,000 miles was the gold standard for longevity.)

While FI doesn't really offer a horsepower advantage it offers infinite tuning capability. Thanks to that you can run that fine line of horsepower and fuel mileage. Driveability goes up, too, thanks to that tuning capability. The issues with carbs are pretty much eliminated: stumbling, stalling, bog, etc.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Whatever I do I just don't want to look back and say, I wish I would have done this instead. you know what I mean? You just never think something like this will ever happen, so when it did i was just caught off guard. There's just some many options and different things to think about. Whatever they do will be a great blessing, but when it's a once in a lifetime type of thing you want to do it right.

Ray

Reaction score
You have been given a lot of good advice. If I was in your shoes, I would do as already suggested. Decided how you will want to use the car. Then go with the best available combination.
Original is nice, but would go modern. My current build is anything but stock, but every young gun, and that's the future, goes nuts when the see it. Times change go with the times.

Last edited:

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Since tomorrow is the day, I guess I will throw 2 plans at them. One with a carbed engine, and one with EFI, I really like the 440 LA Super Commando small Block, and the 6.1 Hemi. Since I like Both, I will see what floats their boat. Thanks for all the input, you folks have been very helpful!

Back