• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Timing Chain Tensioner with Double Roller Chain

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
I bought a CLO 9-5387 tensioner I intended to use on a SB I'm building but have seen various thoughts on whether they can be used with a double roller chain.
Anyone have an opinion one way or the other? I believe the manufacturer says "not compatible" but what fun would it be if we always took their advice? :cool:

Old Mopar

Reaction score
I bought a CLO 9-5387 tensioner I intended to use on a SB I'm building but have seen various thoughts on whether they can be used with a double roller chain.
Anyone have an opinion one way or the other? I believe the manufacturer says "not compatible" but what fun would it be if we always took their advice? :cool:
yes you can with no problem, drill the 4th hole
I would have bought the mopar part but that's me

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
The FACT is that the tensioner was ONLY designed and intended for MAGNUM series small blocks (V8, V6). IF you do install one, you must check the clearance of it at the SLINGER... they are known to interfere with the slinger, in particular when using a double-roller chain... requiring cutting/trimming/grinding of the phenolic tensioner for at least 1/8" clearance from the slinger... otherwise it will NOT allow the harmonic balancer to press squarely against the slinger (the slinger will be angled... not good). I discovered this problem recently... and was immediately told by the supplier that ... "they are only intended for Magnum engines for proper fitting..." even though they are sold for non-Magnum engines as well... selling parts is profitable! Also, there is only one manufacturer of the tensioner... everyone buys it from them regardless of package name.

Also.... the wire spring on the tensioner is known to break and fall inside the oil pan. I will never use another tensioner.

Most hard core racers do NOT use tensioners.

Old Mopar

Reaction score
I guess all my success building 340-360 engines with the mopar tensioner was a fluke. Tensioner gives rock solid timing. We ran some hardcore engines...never broke anything beating it harder than autocross would ever:BangHead::steering:

Last edited:

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
I understand manufacturer's cautioning against using parts for anything other than their intended purpose. The parts are designed and tested for specific applications. I get that. However... isn't taking a part that doesn't quite do what you need it to do and modifying it to make it work pretty much the definition of "hot-rodding"?

Back