• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Timing chain

Slug

Reaction score
Hi, 1973 challenger with a 340. Oil pan was leaking, so after I pulled it down I was a lot of slack in timing chain when I pushed on it with screwdriver. So I brought engine to number 1 piston, zero degree on balancer. When I put wrench in reverse it went around 10 to 11 degrees before distributor rotor moved. Is this too much slack? And if it is I will obviously change chain and sprockets but while I have it off what harmonic balancer should I get for a 340 with external balancing? The balancer looks tobe original to car.

moparleo

Reaction score
It really isn't a bad idea to check your balancer for cracking or slippage. It is after all almost 50 years old. You might also consider a timing chain tensioner as used on later models. No problem retrofitting with the correct chain.

Slug

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a new balancer. 73 340s have cast cranks and not much of a selection.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a new balancer. 73 340s have cast cranks and not much of a selection.
Summit has one for both internal and external balance. Think its called professional products. Looks like an internal balance one but weights bolt in behind it.
Not sure about installing it with cast crank as I would think they are balanced as an assembly. I would re use the old one if its usable.
Like 90$.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Summit has one for both internal and external balance. Think its called professional products. Looks like an internal balance one but weights bolt in behind it.
Not sure about installing it with cast crank as I would think they are balanced as an assembly. I would re use the old one if its usable.
Like 90$.
Screenshot_20210614-172934.png

Back