• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

To 340 or not.........

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
if the machine work is done right there is no sacrifice in reliability with a stroker

burntorange70

Reaction score
Strokers rock! That is all. Going to want more cam if you go that way and at least a little head work if not a set of RHS or Eddys.

btceng

Reaction score
Burnt,

Can you recommend a stroke kit? Got it on a stand today and plan to pull the intake, heads, and pan tomorrow. It obviously got moisture in the valve covers because the rockers have some rust on them. Likewise, the pushrods, valve stems, and springs. It turns freely and sparkplugs look brand new and may have been.

Last edited:

burntorange70

Reaction score
You got a builder or are you putting it together? If you got a builder I would talk to him about it. If you then check around. Summit Jegs or Mancini racing all have good kits you can check out. Have it balanced and get a forged crank.

btceng

Reaction score
This will be my first Mopar engine build so I really want to do the assembly myself. I have a good machine shop nearby and a friend that is an old time Mopar man, in fact, that's his nickname.

Here's where I am now. I have torn the engine down but haven't taken the rotating assembly out of the block yet. The numbers that I find on the parts are as follows:

Block 2780930-340-8 Date 9/17/72
Heads 3418915 J
Pistons B296 040
Crank 161 couldn't see the casting

It's not what I hoped for but it is a 340. It appears to be tight and the bores are smooth with no ridge. Number 1 piston rod has rust on it but not bad. The thing has the thin balancer but the crank looks cast to me.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
if the crank has thin parting lines & squared counter weights it will be cast but should have an offset damper on the front .
if it has wide parting lines & rounded counter weights it is a steel crank , post a pic when you get time .
the cam should have some id # & letters on the back face

btceng

Reaction score
Here's a few pics. Looks like a cast crank but forged dampener. Bores look fair. They have a little rust here and there that cleans easily. A quick hone may fix that. Thinking about bearings, rings, and a hone. Then build the top with new can package and have the heads done with new valves.

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the forged cranks do not have a # on them unless it is stamped into it , just part of the process to create the crank , the fact that is has a number Cast into it makes it a cast crank

btceng

Reaction score
I may be better off back with the 318. I know that it is a solid engine. Could stroke it and use the heads off of the 340. You are right about getting the block checked out. Thanks for the help, as usual.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
or just bolt the 340 back together , sell it off again & use the cash to buy some good heads like the RHS

Back