• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tons of Questions

sfort

Reaction score
I have been in the process of pulling apart my 73 Challenger and have it to the point that all is left is the kmember with steering and the leaf spring bolts. I kept it a roller in case we needed to move it around in the shop. I want to make a metal roll around platform to mount the body to after I take the front and rear off. I need it to be sturdy enough to put on a trailer because I plan the have it dipped at Metal Rehab in Fort Worth. I know many of you have prob made these platforms and I am wondering what to consider when making one.
I ordered a rebuild kit from one of the sites sponsors for the under dash hvac unit. Are there any secrets to pulling the unit apart and replacing the foam and gaskets.
Doors are completely disassembled and off the car. Who is the best source to use for rebuild kits of the plastic parts. Are all of the plastic parts replaceable. I have been mainly busy taking pics pulling parts off and building a catalogue so I can find the parts when needed.
I want to replace the instrument bezel wood grain but almost fell over when I saw replacement for $246.00. Is there a less costly source.
I will be back with more questions.

moparleo

Reaction score
Like anything else, you can go cheap and have to buy it again because it looks cheap, or buy the best quality you can get, and be happy. There is an old saying in the hobby that goes " The price is forgotten long before the quality is " That is one reason that restorations take longer than expected. Some companies like YearOne give you a volume discount based on the order size. You can save up to 30% by doing this. The best way is to focus on one area at a time. Like the suspension, than the braking system, than the doors, electrical, engine, transmission, etc... Do one area at a time and it won't seem so overwhelming. Buy the factory manuals to help you with servicing each system. Most restoration companies have their catalogs for free on line or a nominal, refundable charge for physical catalogs. The most important thing is to have a plan.
Try to focus on one area at a time, have patience. Good luck

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would start with the body and get it done correctly. It can take a lot of time. I am doing a 70 Challenger for a customer. Today it took 2 of us 6 hours to line up all of the gaps and body lines on the doors, fenders, hood, and trunk. We had to grind down edges and build up other edges with welds to make everything have the same gaps. It takes time, but it is worth it. Even in primer the car has a cleaner look. Leo has good advice. Make a plan. Do the car in sections. Keep taking pictures. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We will help.

Back