• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk lid spring adjustment

ProSport

Reaction score
The trunk lid on my '70 Challenger springs open really fast as soon as I turn the key. Where and how do I adjust that? Looks like the holes in these photos may do the trick?

20190311_191238.jpg

20190311_191252.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Yep, that's where you adjust the tension but I am not sure which direction. Just try it one way or the other to see what works. They may need to go in opposite direction from R to L. Be careful as the rods under a load.

Adam

Reaction score
Correct. The torsion spring can be adjusted to reduce or increase tension. Some cars (70) have two springs, some (71-74) only have one, if I recall correctly...

ProSport

Reaction score
Thanks guys, is there a correct safe way to do this or do I just grab the ends of the rods and put them in a different hole?

aussiemark

Reaction score
Yes just watch you fingers and get someone to hold the trunk lid open when the trunk lid is open there's not that much tension on the springs. Your springs look to be unevenly adjusted the right side is in the second hardest position and the left side is in the second softest position maybe this is a way to get a half adjustment? I think there are multiple adjustments for different trunk mounted options like spoilers and luggage racks depending on the weight of these would determine the spring position that is a very nice looking trunk by the way.

Last edited:

ProSport

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I moved the passenger side in 2 holes and it is perfect now. I turn the key and the lid pops up a few inches, lift it all the way up by hand and it easily stays.
And yes the end of the spring rod scraped the paint off on it's way to each hole so I gotta touch that up lol.

Back