• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What really means Trim code HRX9?

ChalleRT

Reaction score
Hello, i have 70 R/T Challenger project. I wrote something about it, in Wellcome area, in May, this spring.
Build sheet is in very good condition, i think this is column shift car. My friend says it is originally with buddy seat, because of the column shift. But does the build sheet code HRX9, mean;
H=Trim Grade : high
R= Front bucket Seats, Leather and vinyl
X9=Interior color, Black

I said that the buil sheet is in good condition, i cant see any markings in that Seat-area, where should read 5(C55), because that rear seat springs have ruined that area.

But does that HRX9 automatically mean it had the bucket seats originally? WITH the column seat?
There are holes for separete seats, four holes per side, how was the buddy seat mounted?
sorry again my bad english:)

20230606_202041.jpg

pschlosser

Reaction score
Row #2 of the Broadcast Sheet, right in the middle, where it says "Trim Code" is the interior trim codes. I think the R-Leather interior is an upgrade and kind of rare. That's pretty sweet.

Yes, R might be bucket seats, but you may need the C55 code to go with it. Your sheet has damage right where that code goes, but I don't think I see a "5" in the "C5-" box.

Also, on row #3, the "251" on the left refers to column shift. If it were floor shift, the code would read "255"

1691435857901.png

Last edited:

ChalleRT

Reaction score
Ok. thanks Pschlosser, that could be in your neighborhood, years ago. It´s from Santa Rosa,
So, that trim code not automatically mean, black vinyl/leather buckets. So sad, that marking has damaged.
But what about the other evidences about the bucket, or buddy seats? in some point, it had the buckets, like i said there are 4 holes per side.
Should the be some metal reinforcement around the holes originally?
And how was the buddy seat mounted, how many holes?

ChalleRT

Reaction score
Thats the car, i think when it came to Finland. I try to get pictures on the floors later.

IMG_3532.jpeg

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Yes the HRX9 code is for leather bucket seats.

H4X9 is the code for vinyl bench seats, there were no leather bench seats.

If a car has column shift it does not automatically mean it also has bench seats.

Good info here:
Interior Colors

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Your car would be delivered with Black leather bucket seats , there could well have been no buddy seat or console given column shift

Xcudame

Reaction score
I saw an e-body years ago, can't remember if it was a Challenger or Barracuda, but it was column shift with bucket seats and no console. I remember it had black carpet because you could see so much of it.
By the way, I know it's not original, but those yellow and orange (and red?) stripes look good on that black paint!

ChalleRT

Reaction score
Thanks guys. This car´s fender tag is reproducted, as told in that wellcome area, and there are faults, like center console C16. I now know this car is not a console car. I just want to know is it really a bucket car. But i can´t see, if there is the code C55, in sheet.

Xcudame

Reaction score
The broadcast sheet definitely has HRX9 as the trim, so I say it's a bucket seat car with no console. The seat spring mark covers over the "C55" pretty good. That row, all the numbers appear high and to the left of the boxes as well which doesn't help trying to make out a "5". Oh, and yes, there would be reinforcements around all 8 holes (4 per bucket).

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Here is the definitive documentation to answer your question. The 1970 Dodge Color and Upholstery Selector book for the dealers had graphics and actual cloth, vinyl, and leather samples for buyers to choose from. As mentioned, HR-coded seats were Leather and Vinyl Bucket Seats only and X9 is for Black. Consoles were extra cost options as noted on page 43 of the book.
1970 Dodge Color and Upholstery Selector Cover for Dealers.jpg
1970 Dodge Color and Upholstery Selector HR for Challenger RT & Challenger.jpg

1970 Dodge Color and Upholstery Selector HRX9 Sample.jpg

Back