• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk Mat Date and material question 71 Challenger

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
I've lost the thread I was reading on the change in the production month of 1971 for the Challenger Herringbone trunk mat material and style for what came Originally in the Challenger.
I have on Hand the thick vinyl die cut, and Also the thin vinyl with the fuzzy Poly Backing, Can anyone tell me when the transition month to the 71-74 trunk mat style occurred and the exact type of mat?

Thanks a lot folks!

FE

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
Found my threads finally! Over at ebody forum, similar to this but different....

Well I've discovered that it only took a couple seconds to find my build date after plugging in my extyernal hard drive with the pictures of Bucky on it to find the build date of 10/70 thus requiring the rubber backed trunk mat to be correct. I don't know why it took me so long LOL Here's a pic of what I got from Auto Custom Carpets INC in ALabama for pattern and thickness. It is die cut to match.

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct thickness of the OEM trunk mat for this rig? Apparently it doesn't get the foam backing like later 71-74 challengers got, but I would love to know how close to OEM it actually is and without a sample from a 70/71 to compare it to I'm running blind.
Modify message

Attachments

• bucky trunk.jpg
    bucky trunk.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 69

Gary Kitchens

Reaction score
Apparently after January build date it was a Foam backed vinyl. And since I have one of the thinner fuzzy backed vinyl herringbone trunk mats, I'm going to make correct it and sell it to anyone wanting an OEM style foam backed vinyl trunk mat for the 71-74 Challenger 8)

Later gaters

Back