• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk springs

wilbur

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 73 challenger and every time I open the trunk if I do not hold the lid one of the plastic sliders pops off the hinge along with the spring, and I have to redo the whole spring conglomeration to replace it I have replaced the sliders with new ones, I am using the last slot for the adjustment (slot closest to the back seat ) the lid opens fine in this position and closes like new. anyone know what could be wrong ? The hinges do not seem loose or bent.

Adam

Reaction score
If the trunk spring is installed correctly, and not bent, I would have a look at the trunk hinge pin retainer to make sure it is there. It looks like a large push-nut (AMD sells them). You could also put a push nut on the end of the spring to hold the slider on. I use a little Vaseline on my slider/hinge arm.

Photo courtesy of the Web.
9F524E56-1E99-49FE-AC56-E89446785140.jpeg

quapman

Reaction score
There's a tab under the dutchman panel, in the center, that holds the torsion rods in place. Maybe that's broken, missing or not folded over the bars.

wilbur

Reaction score
Finally figured it out. the bottom of the hinge where the slider slides was badly worn after years of use had to bend the lower edge to keep it from popping off. THANKS for all the input and help.

Back