• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Valve cover options

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
ValveCovers.jpg
So, I had my original valve covers on the 340 for first start up (on right). Removed them to re-torque the heads (didn't need it, all stayed put) and reset the valves (not done yet). My buddy said these valve cover gaskets are the best thing since sliced bread, and I believe they are based on paying $58 and some change. But they are, per the instructions, not meant for the stamped valve covers because they have that groove in them that will not allow a "flat" seal to the gaskets. I have the aftermarket valve covers with the new stainless steel breathers ($20 a piece) on the left that will work with these gaskets. But dang, I am torn about which valve cover to use. The car is mostly stock looking, except aluminum heads, intake, and headers. Form vs. Function is the question. Use these gaskets with the non-stock valve covers, never have a leak, and they are reusable. Or go original with another type of gasket and risk leakage. I know the answer, do what I want, but wanted some opinions. So, let's have it..........

pschlosser

Reaction score
If your valve covers are straight, and not dimpled at the bolt holes from over tightening, then several types of valve cover gaskets will hold using the stamped steel covers, even the cheapo cork ones.

I appreciate when the OEM valve covers are in place, because the crankcase breather, PCV, and oil filling holes are all in the right place with other OEM components.

If your engine is mostly stock looking, with OEM carb, intake, air cleaner, etc, then you may have less heartache staying with the stamped steel ones.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I purchased a new set of Mopar Performance Valve covers awhile back for my 1970 340 engine when they were still available.
I found that with Edelbrock aluminum heads and an LD 340 aluminum intake, the MP valve covers hit the intake manifold and will not seal properly.
When I used my original valve covers and a regular gasket, the valve covers fit with the aluminum heads and intake.
I had purchased valve cover spacers which raises the height of the Edelbrock covers so that they fit with the aluminum intake manifold.
The spacers, though pricey, allow the use of the Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers with an aluminum intake.
I am thinking of just using the original valve covers which have the openings for the breather, pvc valve and oil cap in the right locations and forgo the MP valve covers and needed extra spacer.

The factory covers work best with the Y spacers that go under the bolts to spread the torque load on the covers

Just my thoughts!
Phil

1691946184730.png

Spacers to use the MP covers with an aluminum intake
1691946953856.png

Katfish

Reaction score
Engine will look a whole lot nicer without oil dripping down on the headers..........

Adam

Reaction score
I think it’s a pain in the butt when aftermarket valve covers do not have an oil fill hole. It takes forever trying to add oil past the internal baffle. If the stockers are not leaking use them. Another option is Magnum valve covers, they have 10 bolt holes but will bolt on. And they are much thicker than the LA stamped ones. Dirt cheap at a wrecking yard.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I think it’s a pain in the butt when aftermarket valve covers do not have an oil fill hole. It takes forever trying to add oil past the internal baffle. If the stockers are not leaking use them. Another option is Magnum valve covers, they have 10 bolt holes but will bolt on. And they are much thicker than the LA stamped ones. Dirt cheap at a wrecking yard.
Adam, thanks for your thoughts! I agree with you, regarding the MP valve covers. I would have to drill out one of the “circles” to accommodate an oil filler opening. And the pvc and breather are in different locations. It is possible to move the baffle inside the cover after drilling out an additional opening. They look nicer than stock covers, but for now, I will use the stock covers.

Back