• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

VINYL TOP INSTALL 3

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Read factory install first,then forget most of it if you are doing it yourself. The 4th picture is a mark made on the A pillar bottom of the seam.this is a good reference to start from if you top is still on. I applied the glue at 100% coverage.Directions read apply glue at 80%. You will need 2 quarts.I might have done it with one if I didn't mess up at first,a 1 square ft area.BUT and I mean But it would have been very close, have 2 on hand. 1st picture: Top was folded for years in bag,of course folds in top.String line shows center,there is a fold left on drivers side.Had front clamped in windshield area and pulled back.pulled one side to painted marks and clamped then pulled other side to marks and clamped.it was in and out of the sun for a week or two 75-80 as I was doing other things.
2nd picture:is with 90% of fold out.I would un clamp one side and pull to see if the remainder would come out. I also put a line3" left and right of center line.To install the top it was it better to brush apply glue to top first then to the roof.When applying glue to roof don't keep going back over it,Try to do it in one pass. A little dabbing kind a works.It's a one trick pony.After the 3" pass side was glued I pulled and clamped pass side. ( obseving the seam time to time.) not gluing down the rest of pass side. moved to driver side brush applied glue and pulled to paint marks. this will give a 6" area to hold as you are stretching. For mraks refers to: VINYL TOP INSTALL the top.Keep in mind as the center is being glued the front is clamped.and that it is back far enough to the back to cover the dutch-man panel. This is where a third hand is needed.Also hold top up and pull then push top down to roof and rub. I would pull and someone would push and rub down the top. Now as I continued doing a side in 3" strips running front to back. I would also pull at the sail panel area. and checking the seam for straightness. With the one quart I had I was able to get it done to the seams.Took about an 1/2hr. need to do sail panel dutch man panel and outer seam area. 3RD picture:SO next morning did you ever wake up and ask you self WTF did I do! So you look at it. I found one small bubble on passenger side sail panel about 6" in.peeled it up and there was a speck about the size of a flea,it looked like there was a rock under it. After I put it back down it would stick but there was bubble. used a small steamer and took it right out.After that it looked perfect! /// A FEW NOTES: Mark the A pillar seam,center line, + 3" area on each side of center,and seam in a few areas. Roll top to center line, Do one 3" side then other. Do in 3" strips front to back. It's easier to fix a 3" strip than the whole side.and complete one side to seam. Have window cleaner to spray top while rubbing top to the outside. Watch for flecks of hard glue and dirt. Temp 70-80 humidity 70-80%. Now I have to wait for more glue! I applied the glue at 100% coverage.Directions read apply glue at 80%.
vinyl top clamped.png

20220810_204553.jpg

20220812_085014.jpg

20220812_132711.jpg

Lokweld Heat Resistant Contact Adhesive - 1 Quart.jpg

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thanks for these posts. My turn next.
I applied the glue at 100% coverage. Directions read apply glue at 80%. You will need 2 quarts.I might have done it with one if I didn't mess up at first,a 1 square ft area.BUT and I mean But it would have been very close, have 2 on hand. Used a 3"chip brush from harbor freight. Watched for loose bristles. I didn't want glue every where! Had 2 - 3 small glue finger marks that rubbed right of when dry. OH Yhea! finger tips were sore from rolling up top and pulling! You have that to look forward too.

Back