• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What paint guns do you use?

Cudachuck

Reaction score
I have a 60gal compressor and looking to a good paint gun to spray my car... thanks

Bug Guy

Reaction score
Whats your budget and how may cfm is your compressor putting out? Thats total air flow from your compressor. You can spend $10.00 (Harbor Freight) to over a Grand for a paint gun , You got to have at least 13 to 17 cfm to maintain good air pressure for good paint atomization, our youll be palying catch up whit the compressor for air to keep on painting, Have you painted a car befor ? And what kind of paint are you going to use ? A single stage like a enamel , or 2 stage base clear ? I can Help you but I need a little more information from you ,Im A retired auto body tech w/35 years in the trade ,Ive done work From frame to paint work. My thing would be start on small stuff , then when you feel good about that work your way up to bigger stuff , paint supplies cost are up and doing it over gets expensive

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Whats your budget and how may cfm is your compressor putting out? Thats total air flow from your compressor. You can spend $10.00 (Harbor Freight) to over a Grand for a paint gun , You got to have at least 13 to 17 cfm to maintain good air pressure for good paint atomization, our youll be palying catch up whit the compressor for air to keep on painting, Have you painted a car befor ? And what kind of paint are you going to use ? A single stage like a enamel , or 2 stage base clear ? I can Help you but I need a little more information from you ,Im A retired auto body tech w/35 years in the trade ,Ive done work From frame to paint work. My thing would be start on small stuff , then when you feel good about that work your way up to bigger stuff , paint supplies cost are up and doing it over gets expensive
My compressor says
10.2 scfm@90
Ppg 2 stage
Never painted a car

Bug Guy

Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re doing a complete resto and that you’re painting underneath engine compartment interior outside and everything that needs to be body color and the other thing is I don’t know if you’re going to paint a metallic color or if it’s a straight solid color like white black red I would start out with a single stage for the engine compartment underneath the car and light in the trunk area of the vehicle and the interior I’m assuming that you were going to paint all of that because you can get a single stage is a commercial single stage that well be more or less fluid friendly because if you’re going to paint a basecoat clearcoat in those areas it’s got a hole you got a whole Lotta material to use a single stage it’s a lot better for that stuff because you don’t really see much of the area of Eastwood sells a kit it’s three paint guns and they’re made by pinks you get a primer gun with a 1.8 or 1.6 tip a refinish gun and I think that comes with a 1.4 chip and a little detail gun which is good for little small stuff I think that kit cost about 300 bucks that’s a good starting place for somebody that wants to start painting vehicles you can get the parts Areli bailable for a repair because it is a banks Banks gun it’s called they’re straight line finishing system but if you want you can call me at 559-355-4762 that’s my cell that way we can talk and you can ask me any questions that you want call me anytime thanks Ray

Back