• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Will fan 2863223 fit my 70 barracuda?

Luis

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have 2863223 18" 7 blade clutchless fan that I believe was removed from a superbird. I wanted to know if it would work on my 440-6 pack barracuda. It's an A/C car so want to be sure that since it's a clutchless fan it won't overheat my car. Since it will have a 440-6 and A/C. Let me know guys. I appreciate the help.

moparleo

Reaction score
Do your self a favor and don't use a fan without a clutch. A clutch type works as needed which means at high RPM when you don't need a fan, it freewheels so it isn't using any horsepower to make it work. Consider that all cars today, front wheel drive or otherwise use electric fans. There are many reasons but the main reason was to free up horsepower. These fans are thermostatically controlled which means they turn on and off depending on the engines temperature. Once you get up to speeds over 40 mph you don't need a fan since there is more air being forced through the radiator than the fan can generate. They even operate when the engine is turned off because of heat soak. This is when the engine actually increases in temperature because there is a lack of coolant circulating through the radiator. A clutchless fan can fail at high rpm because of excessive centrifugal forces on the rivets that hold the fan together. A question that you might ask is how old is this fan ? how long has it been used? every part has a service life which is not forever. Use new parts whenever possible for reliability and safety sake.

Back