• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WIW - Is this 70 six pac car thats missing drivetrain worthy to get involved ?

pschlosser

Reaction score
I was told by a (California) DMV employee once a vehicle is titled in a given state, it's yours. It cant easily be taken. The DMV's cross check with each other when a title transfer is taking place.

If there is paranoia about buying a car, and later losing it and your money, I'm not sure where this comes from, if you do you homework ahead of time.

What am I missing?

440WB

Reaction score
The car maybe registered in an other state. Let alone in someone else's name not his uncles. All hearsay no proof not even an old registration? Let sleeping dogs lay or it might come back and bight you hard. Or the current owner.
exactly one of the reasons why I had backed out
not to mention he was shifty - every text was different - every day - was different - nothing was consistent - price with parts included - or not included kept changing every day up/down 5k +

the fact that he stated that NO he would NOT go
to DMV to help with paperwork
he refused to get involved

440WB

Reaction score
I was told by a (California) DMV employee once a vehicle is titled in a given state, it's yours. It cant easily be taken. The DMV's cross check with each other when a title transfer is taking place.

If there is paranoia about buying a car, and later losing it and your money, I'm not sure where this comes from, if you do you homework ahead of time.

What am I missing?

I get what you mean about homework -
in most of my buys - cars had title -
was easy to make phone calls at that in checking -

with this Hi $$$ car with a large investment -

in this case just to go with a vin # was sketchy
and did not sit well with me -

440WB

Reaction score
all I can say is good luck to the new buyer!

50/50 shot that things will go well

not the risk I was willing to take

NoCar340

Reaction score
talking to our Secretary Of State DMV office today they’re telling me it’s illegal in Michigan to buy a car with just a bill of sale.
You must have a transferred title.
This is 100% untrue. Find a different SOS office with knowledgable employees. The person to whom you spoke is completely misinformed.

Accordion to DMV office you would have to have the trustee of the Estate transfer the title, need the death certificate, old registration the known persons name, then with a Bill of sale and proof it was his car to the DMV which they said they should have the last known registration name and address

after that portion is clear
then it would go to the person that selling it to me who would have to put it in his name as the seller before I can even transfer that title into my name

Lots of red tape for sure and a couple months of time involved
I'm not sure who works at your local Secretary of State office, but they're sadly mistaken about buying without a title. It's not illegal, immoral, fattening or particularly troublesome.

I have bought several cars on simple bills of sale and gotten titles through MI, as have several friends on more than a dozen occasions. Three of the cars I currently own lacked titles when I got them. If the car doesn't come back stolen and you have a signed bill of sale, they can issue you a title. Sometimes they may want to see the car; most cases they do not. A close friend has titled a few cars for his father-in-law who lives in WI. WI is tough; MI is not. My friend gets a title in his name in MI easy-peasy, then signs the title over to his FIL. WI happily takes the MI title and issues a new one in FIL's name.

Again, find a different SOS office. It's a cake-walk.

Bobby T

Reaction score
WIW - Is this 70 six pac car thats missing the complete drivetrain worthy to get involved ?

Your Help with Opinions are appreciated !

Ive attempted to get the options for this car with posting ' Build Sheet read out '
in another post - Thanks to our members - it shows strong on the read out options

1970 440 - 6 Auto - Shaker - Dana - rubber bumpers FE5 magnum wheels Power Disk Brakes
The Good - is the build sheet - vin tag - Interior is decent condition is all there ( is apart )
body numbers ( are not very deep stamped ) October 69 Build Date

car has some/most parts - needing restore with rust repair - No Fender Tag
Has 1985 Licence Plate - judging by the condition as she sits its been in storage for a long time.
has Aftermarket Ansens 5 slot wheels with Poly glass tires almost new -

Front Grille in good condition with chrome trim ( missing driver headlight light surround )
tail lights nice condition with tail panel surround chrome trim - Tinted Windows all around -

Car shows previous repairs - a piece of 12" driver side frame with tortion bar cut
and weld - maybe a floor section cut out - undercarriage is rust pitted ( hard to tell what
has to be changed ) Interior floors are Heavy Paint coated over rust pitting -

Hard to see with car tucked in the corner of the pole barn
with no lights - owner will not roll it out or put it on jacks for pictures -
HIS STORY IS - CAR WAS IN ACCIDENT WITH SHOP REPAIRS OF DRIVER SIDE IN EARLY 80's-
Red is painted over with Orange -

The Bad - No Shaker Hood - missing rubber bumpers and brackets No Motor No Trans No Dana
no Radiator - has 8 3/4 is rolling

inner fender shows no screw holes for fender tag

I know this is a hard to find valuble project - when complete
my investment would be the cost of the car plus at least $35k of parts -
I would perform all the labor with body work + paint
I have an early 70 six pac motor needing the top end carbs +air cleaner + shaker

If I get into this - would be at least a year of my time to then enjoy for abit -
ultimately will be selling in the end project
( as my sons with wife would not want it in the long run if something was to happen to me )
they really want me to buy a modern challenger -

LOOKING FOR YOUR HONEST OPINIONS
Hello,

Did you end up working something out and buying this car?

If you did, I do have 2 outboard carbs for Six Pac that are dated for 69.
If you did not, do you want to sell your early 70 six pac motor?

Please let me know.

440WB

Reaction score
Hello,

Did you end up working something out and buying this car?

If you did, I do have 2 outboard carbs for Six Pac that are dated for 69.
If you did not, do you want to sell your early 70 six pac motor?

Please let me know.
possibly I might sell the engine -
I see your out west - already an extra charge for ship price -
I will PM you for your email to send pics and info

Back