• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How in the world do you get the clutch pedal spring hooked again?

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
So I took my whole pedal assembly out of my 71 challenger, blasted and painted it, bought all new bushings and everything. I got the whole pedal assembly put back in, except I cannot get the huge spring back on. I hear there is a really easy trick to getting it back on, but I don't know what it is. Please Let me know, if you know. I'm tired of fighting with it.

FistyMopar

Reaction score
I know this much.....

If you have a diaphragm pressure plate, not a 3 prong (old factory style) the diaphragm style Does NOT need the spring. if you use the spring with the d-style clutch and take a short drive the clutch will go to the floor and stay there giving a +5 pucker factor!
if you have this plate do use the spring.
ram-88502hdx_w.jpg

if you have this dont use the spring.
116_0407_05_z%252Bclutch_basics%252Bdiaphragm_pressure_plate.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
It is true that if you use the original Borg & Beck 3 finger pressure plate, you would use the over center spring. If you have a diaphragm type pressure plate, you disconnect the over center spring and pin.

Sledgehammer

Reaction score
Can't tell you if you need the spring or not... but I read on another forum how to get those springs in. The guys say to put one end of the spring in a vice and grab the other in and pull the spring to the side. They say that when there is a gap between the spring coils to put a flat washer in the gap and then bend it the other way and put washer(s) on the other side. They stated to keep doing it until the spring will go easily on amd then you can pull the washers out with pliers once it's installed.

Never tried it myself.. but sure seems plausible.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the easy way to install it is to swing the pedal Before installing it & it falls as the pedal will travel further out of the car .
I have done it wilt slip jaw /water pump type pliers , washers should work also .I won't use diapragm type clutches in these cars , I have had the pedal stay on the floor when shifting at high RPM both with & without the pedal spring in place , make SURE you have a rev limiter

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Be very careful when you adjust the pedal for a diaphragm type plate so you don't over extend the fingers on the centre plate, this damages, weakens em and leads to no end of probs,
Take the cover off the trans and lay under the car while your obedient wife operates the pedal and then use the pedal bumpstop adjuster to limit travel.
Once sorted tho lovely light pedal operation and loads more clamping force for your RB torque monster :)

FistyMopar

Reaction score
springs

More FYI.....
if you have the diaphram style, the pedal might not come back to the top like it used to, depending on a few things. so dont use the big spring. You may need to put a pedal return spring, a spring that you hook to the pead to the column or lower dash to make the pedal return to a height where it will touch and turn off you brake lights.
(exactly where it was you have seen a car with the brake pedal too low or high.)

a-merry-can

Reaction score
Just found this thread. Did that trick work with rocking the spring back and forth?

Avalanche

Reaction score
Inserting washers between the spring does work. It extends the springs length, once in place just remove the washers with pliers and the spring shortens into place.
I have a diaphram type clutch and needed to remove the center spring since it kept the clutch pinned to the floor. I did install a light return spring to bring the clutch pedal all the way to top.

volunteer

Reaction score
Inserting washers between the spring does work. It extends the springs length, once in place just remove the washers with pliers and the spring shortens into place.
I have a diaphram type clutch and needed to remove the center spring since it kept the clutch pinned to the floor. I did install a light return spring to bring the clutch pedal all the way to top.

Depends how high you rev/shift - the higher the revs the more likely pedal will not leave the 'floor'. Set up the linkage to have the clutch disc begin to engage when pedal about 1 - 2 inches off floor (or whatever Mopar suggests). Diaphragm units do not need OEM pedal travel. Once bottom operation good, then adjust top end to allow for 'free-play'. You have to be sure the release bearing is not touching fingers of diaphragm when fully engaged (and foot off pedal).

Last edited:

Dfr3604cuda

Reaction score
If you're talking about the clutch pedal return spring, I can tell you this......
I've been using a Zoom diaphragm clutch for years and I do have a return spring.

Back