• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

hi idle wire hook up

Cratos

Reaction score
I would like to now where to hookup the blue wire for the a/c hi idle solenoid just splice it into the AC clutch wire??

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Field connection on alternator as this diagram shows.

1633657331756.jpeg

challenger wiring engine compatment except Hemi.png

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would like to now where to hookup the blue wire for the a/c hi idle solenoid just splice it into the AC clutch wire??
ANSWER NO! The idle stop/anti-diesel solenoid is energized (plunger extended) continuously with the ignition is on. The purpose was to increase the idle speed to allow for "cleaner" emissions. But the higher idle speed, in addition to leaner fuel mixtures and retarded timing resulted in dieseling or after run when shutting down. The RPM drop was significant...perhaps as much as 250 RPM from 800 RPM (solenoid energized) to say, 500 RPM, closing the throttle plates to almost closed.
The solenoid coil is rated for continuous duty. The device could be used to increase the idle speed when the A/C system is energized (compressor clutch coil). With the new cars with the on board computer controlling just about everything, it automatically increases the idle speed, via the throttle control system (drive by wire), every time the A/C system clutch is energized. There is no dieseling because the fuel and ignition is turned off upon shutdown.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here are my quick thoughts.Is the coil rated for momentary versus continuous duty.From what you are asking,I'm taking that you have some understanding of electricity. Short answer NO! 1 It would be a feedback or short . A/C would turn on with hi idle solenoid. 2 current draw may be to high. RESOLVE maybe 1 Use a fused relay circuit to isolate.also a switch need to be installed to d energize hi idle solenoid from alternator when ac in use.2 Or a double throw switch to switch between the two. 3 Or an other relay circuit for solenoid.4 A double throw relay.5 another hi idle solenoid. 4 is what I would suggest. use Properly rated wires and fuses.

e body ac.png

Back