• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 engine oil leak on startup!

PappyF15

Reaction score
Hi, any thoughts from the crowd on why my 74, 360, 4 barrel, 4 speed car leaks about 1-2 oz of oil on start and then warm up but doesn’t do it the rest of the day or when warm? The oil drips at about 1 per 2-3 seconds. The oil is coming off of the oil filter but looks like that’s just the path. The pan bolts are wet but no crazy spray patterns or smoking guns as to where it’s coming from.

Here’s the details,
oil filter is tight (correct torque).
It’s happened with multiple oil filters, seems to be worse when the car has not started for more than a couple of days.
Intermittent (some days it doesn’t happen).
Pan bolts are correct tightness.
By the time I get the car jacked up, it has stopped or is 69539D1C-84DB-4F22-9D43-80117C0F65A9.jpegstopping,
If I’m driving it, it usually lasts about 5-7 minutes and then stops.

Today I jacked the car and left it on jack stands so it can wait for a couple of days and try it. Til then any ideas?

36671CAF-260E-42DB-B241-BABB520FAE41.jpeg

DEAC5E87-48CC-4EF5-B7E0-A1A1A929D208.jpeg

DE974FA4-20C4-4638-B441-10102FB818A3.jpeg

70chall440

Reaction score
My guess would be the oil filter adapter plate (its between the engine and the filter and has the threaded bung which the oil filter screws onto threaded into it). There is a small/narrow round gasket under it and they leak in many cases.

heminut

Reaction score
My guess would be the oil filter adapter plate (its between the engine and the filter and has the threaded bung which the oil filter screws onto threaded into it). There is a small/narrow round gasket under it and they leak in many cases.
This is the same thing I was thinking when looking at the pictures.

70chall440

Reaction score
When I built my 416 I had an issue with getting this area to seal, I tried a variety of methods ranging from putting it in dry (no go) to using Indian Head gasket maker (that worked). But the biggest issue I found was that the plate was not real flat and required some work to establish a flat sealing area.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that oil pressure is higher when oil is cold, so as oil warms up pressure is slightly lower. And make sure it's not the valve covers before you start taking things apart. When engine is cold run your finger around valve cover edge especially in the rear, which I find is usually the problem area.

PappyF15

Reaction score
Thanks, so with the filter off does the oil filter adapter screw off to get to the gasket under it? Is there a special tool required or is it obvious how it comes off to get to the gasket?

70chall440

Reaction score
Thanks, so with the filter off does the oil filter adapter screw off to get to the gasket under it? Is there a special tool required or is it obvious how it comes off to get to the gasket?
After you remove the filter look at the part that the filter screws onto, if you look closely you will see there is a hex part near the base. You use a wrench and unscrew it, then remove the plate (which might need to be pried out). There are 2 gaskets, one under the plate and one under the bolt/bung that you removed (in the guys hand in the picture out on his fingers).

20140816_192801-jpg-205258-jpg.1715028059

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I agree with 70chall440. I my self had an issue with the oil filter plate leaking . After cleaned, machined,milled,bored,decked and checked and cleaned and cleaned again.Before startup used a distributor drive to prime and check oil flow and leaks.I know I was spinning it to fast 80-90 psi,but but if it was going blow it was going to go then.Took better part of the day to fix.3-4 times.check make sure plate is flat and fits flat. I used permatex black rtv. Left it dry overnight. holds at 80-90 psi. I would suggest clean suspected areas and used a distributor drive with a friend and watch for leaks. Good Luck!

20190918_161755.jpg

PappyF15

Reaction score
After you remove the filter look at the part that the filter screws onto, if you look closely you will see there is a hex part near the base. You use a wrench and unscrew it, then remove the plate (which might need to be pried out). There are 2 gaskets, one under the plate and one under the bolt/bung that you removed (in the guys hand in the picture out on his fingers).

20140816_192801-jpg-205258-jpg.1715028059
Let it sit for a couple of days up on Jack’s. Fired it up and immediately started seeing oil coming from that adapter plate. Definitely where it’s coming from. Suggestions on where to get the gaskets to fix that?

70chall440

Reaction score

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Just some other thoughts. oil pump std,high volume or high pressure? the plate can become fatigued and not apply enough pressure. Fix. make slight adjustments,peen center of plate outward. if it won't stay may have to heat treat.

PappyF15

Reaction score
That fixed it. The stud that goes in to the engine block was just barely tight. Took things apart, mine only has the big outer gasket. Cleaned things up and put things back together. No leaks. Thanks for the advice.

Back