• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Door Latch

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Hello fellow FEBO members. Wanted to know if anyone has ever had this issue I am having..........and if so, how did they resolve. I recently re-attached the door to my '70 Challenger and installed new exterior door handle, door weatherstrip, and striker. After getting everything lined up, I closed the door, and it all looked good. The door was flush with the rear quarter panel. However, when I pulled on the door to verify it sealed and latched properly, the door opened about 1/8 of an inch, but the latch still held it closed. This didn't seam right to me, and I did not remember this being the case before the door was removed. I tried moving the striker inboard, towards the interior of the car, but the same thing happend. The striker and the latch will hold the door close, but the door is not flush with the rear quarter panel. Has anyone ever experienced this? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

Steve340

Reaction score
Some door locks have a two stage latch - it may only be on the first or safety catch.
Try moving the striker out

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Hey Steve,

I did as you suggested. I also realized that after the doors were sitting for many years after being sandblasted, I had not lubricated anything. that may have also played a part. Anyway, it all worked out. thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Steve340

Reaction score
Great glad you got the problem sorted.
Good idea to lubricate all the parts. Oil the hinges as well.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Yes. I lubed the hinges before installing the door

Back