• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hemi swap questions

AZkcar135

Reaction score
There was recently a mopar magazine not sure which one that did a special on the swap. I've done some research and found a ton of info and products. My concern is how do you tie in the original gauges? Most threads seem to skip over this part or don't explain it at all. Also with console shifted cars how they tie into the new transmissions. I plan on getting a drop out from a 4x2 truck. I'm at the research phase right now I don't have a solid plans.

Ray

Reaction score
Lot's of good info on cuda challenger forum , and FABO.

Modern Muscle

Reaction score
There was recently a mopar magazine not sure which one that did a special on the swap. I've done some research and found a ton of info and products. My concern is how do you tie in the original gauges? Most threads seem to skip over this part or don't explain it at all. Also with console shifted cars how they tie into the new transmissions. I plan on getting a drop out from a 4x2 truck. I'm at the research phase right now I don't have a solid plans.

What trans do you plan on using? as for the gauges it will vary on what trans and engine management you are going to use.

DA4AD

Reaction score
Original style senders will need to be installed on the new motor and will operate off your old 12 volt wiring/system. Basically the new wiring/ECM/sensors are not connected to your old 12 volt system. All original lighting and gauges are still operated from your original 12 volt harness.
As for the shifter it depends on what trans you plan on using.

AZkcar135

Reaction score
Thanks! it's still in the air if I'm gonna go this route. I would like to I want a dependable cruiser.

Modern Muscle

Reaction score
we have a complete plug and play engine system easy to install and no tuning needed give us a call for more info

Last edited:

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Here is everything I have done for the swap. Zoom in. Lol.

IMG_6812.JPG

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Certainly there is but I like warranties and peace of mind that's why I buy new when possible. The motor is the second one from Chrysler. The first one at 168 miles blew a hole in #2 cylinder and I had not given it hell yet. Chrysler sent me a new one free. Try that elsewhere. Lol. Plus I'm done so the list is all imcompassing and no additional costs that I see. the last thing I'll do is give her some fresh paint. Mechanicals first then cosmetics is my motto.

Avalanche

Reaction score
Certainly there is but I like warranties and peace of mind that's why I buy new when possible. The motor is the second one from Chrysler. The first one at 168 miles blew a hole in #2 cylinder and I had not given it hell yet. Chrysler sent me a new one free. Try that elsewhere. Lol. Plus I'm done so the list is all imcompassing and no additional costs that I see. the last thing I'll do is give her some fresh paint. Mechanicals first then cosmetics is my motto.

I didn't know the car was together. Just thought you were gathering parts. That's a great list since it covers everything. I will keep a copy for reference.
Any chance you can post a pict of the engine bay?

Hubes71

Reaction score
I put mine together on a very low budget. Purchased what I could not build myself. I may be able to give some advice .

20180924_203616.jpg

CMC

Reaction score
I like the fact that you were able to install the air cleaner in the front so you can keep your battery under the hood

Hubes71

Reaction score
I'm actually in the middle of changing that. Battery is going in the trunk and I am building a air box to bring in cold air. I did have a plan to duct the air out the passenger side just behind the horns and put airbox behind headlight pot.

CMC

Reaction score
That sounds like it might require a bunch of metalwork cutting on the inner Fender and elsewhere. Very ambitious. Sure interested in seeing how to accomplish that placement

Hubes71

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion . I was going to do that but decided to remove the battery and build a box. If you wanted to keep the battery up front you could go with my original plan.

Back