• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 4 door cuda?!?!

moparlee

Reaction score
Transmission looks nice. The tail shaft housing looks like buffed bare aluminum. What is the coating on the rest of it?

ECS

Reaction score
Transmission looks nice. The tail shaft housing looks like buffed bare aluminum. What is the coating on the rest of it?

That is how those Tail Shafts looked when they were new. It was not "buffed". The surface was worked to obtain the same look it did when it was originally cast. They were formed with a "green sand cast" finish. It was the same process used to manufacture and cast the Aluminum Alternators.

The aluminum was smooth and relatively shiny when new but showed rough "flashes" of metal where the molds came together or where there were crevices in the mold. The only "coating" that was applied after the Aluminum was restored is a product I manufacture called AMMO. It's an invisible treatment that keeps the surface from tarnishing or turning chalky white. You cannot tell it's on the surface or feel it. The rough cast Aluminum Transmission Case was treated with the same product to keep it looking fresh & new.

Racer57

Reaction score
How much longer do you think before you can drive it ? Now that you can "see" actual progress, I'm sure your getting anxious. :D

ECS

Reaction score
How much longer do you think before you can drive it ? Now that you can "see" actual progress, I'm sure your getting anxious. :D

I'm kind of getting anxious to see the completed vehicle. Just like my other projects, it will never be driven. I'm sure you could drive it from New York to California with no problems whatsoever but it will just be used for display purposes only.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I want to switch gears here (pun intended) to show some before & after pictures of the aluminum section that attaches to the rear of the 727 Transmission. It took the better part of 3 days to restore the aluminum housing to look new again. The configuration and surface of this component is smooth, unlike the textured-rough appearance of the main Transmission housing. You can't use anything abrasive on the smooth casting or it will ruin the smooth finish. After giving it a hot soap bath & rinsed clean, we used a diluted Hydro Fluorhidric-phosphate acid to remove the dark oxidation spots. The entire unit was then massaged with 0000 Steel Wool that was drenched in Mother's Polish. The surface was then polished with a clean soft cloth and wiped with lacquer thinner to remove any remaining residue. Time consuming but worth it! Here are the results:What the history behind the 2 holes in the extension housing 1 have 3 70 units with a smooth taper with no holes & 73 unit off a camper van has the 2 bolts & a huge chunk of cast iron attached was this to dampen the tailshaft harmonics

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

I want to switch gears here (pun intended) to show some before & after pictures of the aluminum section that attaches to the rear of the 727 Transmission. It took the better part of 3 days to restore the aluminum housing to look new again. The configuration and surface of this component is smooth, unlike the textured-rough appearance of the main Transmission housing. You can't use anything abrasive on the smooth casting or it will ruin the smooth finish. After giving it a hot soap bath & rinsed clean, we used a diluted Hydro Fluorhidric-phosphate acid to remove the dark oxidation spots. The entire unit was then massaged with 0000 Steel Wool that was drenched in Mother's Polish. The surface was then polished with a clean soft cloth and wiped with lacquer thinner to remove any remaining residue. Time consuming but worth it! Here are the results:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

ECS

Reaction score

The tail shaft posted in earlier pictures is NOT a correct 1970 version. I screwed up and selected a unit that was used on the later 727 Transmissions. I'll post the restoration process for the "new" unit as it is completed.

Reaction score
It certainly looks nice, had a question about the tailshaft housing gasket.
01.jpg

I always thought the tabs sticking out(at 10 & 2) were a sign of a rebuilt transmission, if that is the factory way, have learned something new. Thanks

ECS

Reaction score
I always thought the tabs sticking out(at 10 & 2) were a sign of a rebuilt transmission, if that is the factory way, have learned something new. Thanks

I have seen originals with the last 3 digits of the Transmission part number on that area of the gasket. It will be the same 3 digit part number that appears on the Broadcast Sheet. I'll go through my photo archives to find an original photo example.

Here are a few of some small parts. The Dip Stick was actually paint "dipped" like the Factory examples. The Transmission Tube is shown after it was lightly glass beaded and the acid coloring applied to make the metal finish correct and Assembly Line fresh. The Dip Stick itself had to be done in different stages because the assembled components exhibited contrasting colors. The Dip Stick Tube had to be detailed with a small brush to control the color differential between the Tube & attaching Bracket. Also shown are a couple of the Power Steering Hose "before & after" photos.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
The tail shaft posted in earlier pictures is NOT a correct 1970 version. I screwed up and selected a unit that was used on the later 727 Transmissions. I'll post the restoration process for the "new" unit as it is completed.

Here are some "Before & After" pictures showing the correct Tail Shaft Housing for the Transmission. I'll post the restoration steps a little later.

03.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

reborn73

Reaction score
I have seen originals with the last 3 digits of the Transmission part number on that area of the gasket. It will be the same 3 digit part number that appears on the Broadcast Sheet. I'll go through my photo archives to find an original photo example.

Here are a few of some small parts. The Dip Stick was actually paint "dipped" like the Factory examples. The Transmission Tube is shown after it was lightly glass beaded and the acid coloring applied to make the metal finish correct and Assembly Line fresh. The Dip Stick itself had to be done in different stages because the assembled components exhibited contrasting colors. The Dip Stick Tube had to be detailed with a small brush to control the color differential between the Tube & attaching Bracket. Also shown are a couple of the Power Steering Hose "before & after" photos.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

reborn73

Reaction score
When you say "acid treatment" will you share what type or kind of "acid" you are using?
Great post and pics...... Keep up the great work

AUSTA

Reaction score
Top job always hard to get that deep rooted discoloration.
We use a product called graffiti remover it is a phosphoric acid gel for those bits that are to big to dip
Found Ali brightener works good on the gold colored carby parts but you have to be quick other wise it will take back to bare metal 2 to 3 minutes max then seal looks like new

ECS

Reaction score
When you say "acid treatment" will you share what type or kind of "acid" you are using?

Below is an article that I provided with step by step information about how to restore corroded Aluminum. If the metal is not too severely corroded, you can use these steps to obtain a "new" looking appearance. Each component usually presents a series of different obstacles when attempting to make them look new again. I used products that are easily accessible from many Retail Outlets. They are also shown in the article.

On the Transmission Rear Shaft Housing I recently posted about, the corrosion was too severe for the process illustrated below, so I had to use LOW PRESSURE Glass beading to remove the heavy oxidation. I'll post the step by step procedure for that method (with photos) to illustrate the process.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

ECS

Reaction score

Here are a few pictures of an Assembly Line Gasket from a Chrysler Plant and a torn off Tab from an original. These Gaskets were also used as an quick reference for the Transmission Assembly part number. The last 3 digits of the part number was stamped on both sides of the Gasket Tab. The Gasket had a serrated line to tear off the Tab once the Transmission was ready for installation. Some of the Tabs made it out of the Assembly Plant without being removed. The example in the photos was stamped 101. I also have original samples that were stamped 671 for the Hemi 727 Automatic Transmissions.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

ECS

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Really appreciate you taking the time to post that !!

Thank you for following along. I guess that someone else is out there still trying to help our cause by keeping the topic alive on other Mopar related Forums. (Linked below)

We have shifted focus for the SEMA venue. The Event Director thought it would be a great idea to enter the car in the competition called BATTLE of the BUILDERS. It comes with a lot of Television coverage and will help in getting the Car out there for the Automotive World to see. I'll have some updates soon!

1970 Plymouth 4-Door Barracuda E-Body

ECS

Reaction score
The tail shaft posted in earlier pictures is NOT a correct 1970 version........

The "correct" one is bolted to the Engine and the entire assembly gets installed sometime next week. I'm organizing the pictures showing how this particular Tail Housing was restored and will post them soon.

08.jpg

ECS

Reaction score
Now that you can "see" actual progress, I'm sure your getting anxious. :D

The entire assembly is just about ready to be installed with the K-Frame. A few minor additions and we're good to go.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Very nice engine/trans cart setup. What are the 3 vertical support rods/bolts made up of?

Back