• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 4 door cuda?!?!

ECS

Reaction score
I've had a few people ask why our Roof doesn't match the 2 Door configuration of the factory Barracuda. The simple answer is that a 4 Door cannot share the same Roof characteristics as a 2 Door vehicle. The 2 Door Barracuda had a sloped-fastback design at the C Pillars. If that sloped characteristic was carried over to the 4 Door design, a person entering the back seat would be impeded as they tried to squeeze through the narrowed opening.

Below is a photo to show why the Door opening of a 4 Door is larger than a 2 Door. With the opening getting larger in a 4 Door, the front Door configuration also had to expand vertically in its opening. The front window opening could not stay the same while the rear opening gets larger/taller to accommodate head room for people entering the vehicle. Here are the comparisons between a Plymouth Roadrunner-Satellite 2 & 4 Door versus our 4 Door version of the Barracuda. I believe we actually did a better job than the Factory in attempting to maintain a "fastback" appearance on our 4 Door Project. We tapered the C Pillar to give it a "fastback" look. It's not near as squared & boxy as the 4 Door versions done by Plymouth.

2dr_vs_4dr-B-Body.jpg

2dr_vs_4dr-Cuda.jpg

TCB

Reaction score
You lost me..... but shared lots of valuable information.

Can you please answer the following questions?

The simple answer is that a 4 Door cannot share the same Roof characteristi4cs as a 2 Door vehicle. The 2 Door Barracuda had a sloped-fastback design at the C Pillars. If that sloped characteristic was carried over to the 4 Door design, a person entering the back seat would be impeded as they tried to squeeze through the narrowed opening.

Q. Did the known rear seating issues of extending the 4-door E-body concept give way to Chrysler's decision for building this car from the B-body platform?

Below is a photo to show why the Door opening of a 4 Door is larger than a 2 Door. With the opening getting larger in a 4 Door, the front Door configuration also had to expand vertically in its opening. The front window opening could not stay the same while the rear opening gets larger/taller to accommodate head room for people entering the vehicle. Here are the comparisons between a Plymouth Roadrunner-Satellite 2 & 4 Door versus our 4 Door version of the Barracuda. I believe we actually did a better job than the Factory in attempting to maintain a "fastback" appearance on our 4 Door Project.

Q. Was the factory version any different? If so, what modification have you made from the original design?

We tapered the C Pillar to give it a "fastback" look. It's not near as squared & boxy as the 4 Door versions done by Plymouth.

Q. You incorporated the "fastback" look. Why didn't Chrysler incorporate a hardtop 4-door or "fastback" roofline?

Last edited:

TCB

Reaction score
You should contact them to ask "why".

Dude. You put in charge of duplicating this Plymouth concept not me. That why I'm asking you. And waut about my other two questions. My Gosh you talk about everything else .

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
.....Why didn't Chrysler incorporate a hardtop 4-door or "fastback" roofline?

I can only answers specifics to this project. When you ask why the "Factory" or "Chrysler" did things the way they did, you'll need to ask them to answer for their actions.

ECS

Reaction score
I can only answers specifics to this project........

Here is a simple illustration that shows the engineering problems you face when lowering a roof with Window Frame openings that are sloped. The sequence illustrates how lowering the roof will eliminate the ability to re-use the "stock" Window Glass. ALL movements were done in a linear fashion for both the vertical & horizontal movements. This shows the problems for just ONE Door setup. The last picture is blown-up to show the difference in the shape of the Window in comparison to the Frame. Even thought the illustration shows the Window inside of the Frame, in reality it would jam and stop traveling about halfway up into the channel. Multiply the difficulty of this scenario times four! Telling how "easy" it would be to just take a little out of the Pillars is one thing; the physics and reality of the process conveys a totally different result.

01.jpg

02.jpg

ECS

Reaction score
....duplicating this Plymouth concept....

Here's a few of the painted Engine. We had a really nice original, 340 Oil Pan sample to format the color from. Steve mixed the paint to match it exactly. He would add tinting and do color checks against the original paint by dotting it on the surface until it was invisible to the surrounding paint sample. (Also shown below.)

02.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

03.jpg

10.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Are the plug wire plastic retainers supposed to be painted along with the engine? I have seen several factory original valve covers with the retainers painted.

ECS

Reaction score
Are the plug wire plastic retainers supposed to be painted along with the engine? I have seen several factory original valve covers with the retainers painted.

Of all the original Factory 340 Engines I have documented, none of them had the Wire Retainers painted. Here are a few pictures from a 10,XXX mile Survivor.

04.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

01.jpg

ECS

Reaction score
Here are a few more of the Engine and a couple of "Before & After" shots of the Rear Brake Drum(s).

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.JPG

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

wingcarenvy

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics of the engine. I am also impressed with the metal work and fabrication skills. Unbelievable! I saw your Hemi Cuda at Sema in 06 (?) I actually don't remember what year that was. I was impressed with the OE level restoration, it was like standing in a dealer in 1970.

ECS

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics of the engine. I am also impressed with the metal work and fabrication skills. Unbelievable! I saw your Hemi Cuda at Sema in 06 (?) I actually don't remember what year that was. I was impressed with the OE level restoration, it was like standing in a dealer in 1970.

That was in 2006. Chrysler Corporate had asked me if they could use my Cuda to represent their Company in the History of the Muscle Car Showcase. Also rounding out the display was a Boss 429 Mustang and an SS Chevelle. A 1969 Yenko Camaro was suppose to represent General Motors but the Chevelle was substituted instead.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

TCB

Reaction score
An infomercial of your car from 10 YEARS ago at Sema? Totally irrelevant to the current discussion and free advertising at its best.

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
Totally irrelevant to the current discussion and free advertising at its best.

Your comment is "irrelevant" and contradictory in context. "Advertising" is done to promote products or services; not an event from ten years ago. Sorry if you didn't understand/comprehend the statement previously made by a Member who specifically referenced the Car & the occasion associated with it.

Last edited:

68wagon

Reaction score
The textured paint on your shaker bubble. Do you sell that paint? If so can it be shipped? Thanks. Great work BTW and the 4 door concept build is fantastic you guys are true craftsmen

TCB

Reaction score
Sorry I'm not part of your internet group hug.

I'm very interested in seeing the final product, but I just wish you would stop pushing the Kool-Aid on everyone to agree with you.

I don't mind a disagreement of opinion, but its strange that any disagreements generate criticism from you (bordering on personal attacks). Are you sure you know what an internet discussion forum is about? Hey, if you want me to believe your story so badly. Then POOF. I'm a believer. Happy now?

ECS

Reaction score
Let me be perfectly clear by saying I couldn't care less what you think or feel about this project Tommy!

ECS

Reaction score
The textured paint on your shaker bubble. Do you sell that paint? If so can it be shipped? Thanks. Great work BTW and the 4 door concept build is fantastic you guys are true craftsmen

The Shaker paint was a "custom mixture" that was formatted from an original unit we had. I will check to see if Steve kept the formula and send you a PM with the information. Thanks for your input and the kind sentiments!

C

Contraption

I don't mind a disagreement of opinion, but its strange that any disagreements generate criticism from you (bordering on personal attacks).

What disagreements? I see pictures and comments explaining the work. The only criticism and personal attacks seem to be coming from you.

Back