• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shaker hood 340 air cleaner assembly help needed-

Mitch

Reaction score
Any advise on these details are welcome-70 Cuda 340 project
I picked up a converted shaker hood today with trim ring installed ($150 yeah real cheap) and started finding some parts on Ebay (shaker bubble $145 Bubble vents $100) - My car will use a 4 barrel and I been looking at parts diagrams and not seeing much in the details-I an not planning on having a pull cable for air opening type vents and now trying to see what all I need to get this thing up and mounted-so if those in the know can look at my parts list and see if I am missing anything-and not sure how it will all go together this is what I think is needed and how it all goes together-
-4 barrel flat plate (mounts on carb)
-Some kind of smaller round air cleaner with top (goes atop 4brl carb against flat plate)
-Shaker bubble ( mounts to flat plate somehow-but how)
-Shaker bubble vents
-Shaker rubber ring-I assume this mounts somehow to the shaker bubble

terrywalker

Reaction score
Lets see if I can explain. The shaker base plate mounts on the carb and a wing nut on carb stud clamps it down. The air filter goes on it with the lid and clamps with a wing nut on carb stud. The base plate has an outer ring plate that holds the rubber seal. The shaker bubble bolts to the outer base plate ring. I have photos of my shaker apart on my other computer. I'll post some photos later.
Terry

Mitch

Reaction score
If the bubble bolts to the plate it sounds like to get to the air cleaner you have to unbolt that that bubble rather than wing nuts? What holds the base plate in place is there a ring clamp around the carb under that plate, or is it held in place by the air cleaner wing nut and cap and unless tightened can rotate a bit, or ? The air cleaner what size would that be ( height x width) and is it just sitting on the base plate with a top cap that a wing nut holds it down? Once the bubble is bolted to the base plate does the rubber seal stretch onto that or is it sandwiched between the base plate and bubble that gets bolted together and that holds it in place?

terrywalker

Reaction score
Here's some photos as promised. The base plate has a bridge over the carb opening that slides down over the carb stud. Install wing nut. Install filter and then air cleaner lid. Wing nut to hold lid in place. Seal is attached to outer base plate ring. You can see shaker bolts to base plate outer ring. Let me know if you need anymore photos.
Terry

20150310_112635 (Medium) (Small).jpg

20150310_114550 (Small).jpg

20170616_095404 (Small).jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
Sorry for the last pic. I didn't view it from my phone first. Here's a better one.
Terry

20170616_100007 (Small).jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
Here's a couple more photos that may help. Amount of carb stud sticking through the base plate bridge while on carb. Other is amount of stud sticking through filter lid. This has stock Thermo-quad on it. Another shows the baseplate upside down. Note feet at front that attach to engine with legs to support baseplate.
Terry

20150310_190212 (Small).jpg

20150310_191439 (Medium).jpg

20150310_112602 (Small).jpg

Mitch

Reaction score
Great pictures -thanks so much- what size diameter is that orange air cleaner lid or part number and what is the height or part number of the air cleaner itself -

terrywalker

Reaction score
Great pictures -thanks so much- what size diameter is that orange air cleaner lid or part number and what is the height or part number of the air cleaner itself -
The lid is probably around 13" in diameter - I've seen repros of these lids are available. There is no air cleaner. Once the baseplate is on carb and wingnut is installed, place air filter element on baseplate and then put lid on top of filter element and wingnut to tighten lid on filter element. The filter element is held in place by the raised lip on baseplate.

terrywalker

Reaction score
Ok, took the shaker apart. Lid is about 14" outside diameter. the Filter element is a Fram CA305. About 12-3/4 " outside diameter by 2-3/4" high.

Mitch

Reaction score
I bought the bubble on ebay and I think its made to order-I hope what I bought has the mounting points for the small vents-otherwsie it may turn into a JB Weld special-
I also bought vents on ebay from a seller there who seems to specialize in plastic injection molded parts of all sorts-

Mitch

Reaction score
ok you have the lid top-how much shipped to 92647? what else you have

yamanut1970

Reaction score
Here's a couple more photos that may help. Amount of carb stud sticking through the base plate bridge while on carb. Other is amount of stud sticking through filter lid. This has stock Thermo-quad on it. Another shows the baseplate upside down. Note feet at front that attach to engine with legs to support baseplate.
Terry

View attachment 38034

View attachment 38035

View attachment 38036
Hi Terry. We are trying to install a new shaker setup on my buddy's 340 Cuda. We cannot figure out where the brackets that are welded to the bottom of the baseplate end up mounting down on the motor. Any chance you could click some pics of where the brackets mount to the motor?

terrywalker

Reaction score
Hi Terry. We are trying to install a new shaker setup on my buddy's 340 Cuda. We cannot figure out where the brackets that are welded to the bottom of the baseplate end up mounting down on the motor. Any chance you could click some pics of where the brackets mount to the motor?

Here's my setup. I hope this helps.
Terry

Engine Shaker Removed 1.jpg

Engine Shaker Removed 2.jpg

Engine Shaker Removed 3.jpg

Back