• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Big Piston Clearance Issue

DStan

Reaction score
So I began to clean the second hand 383 that I bought to do a cheap rebuild on and put in my truck. I began cleaning the pistons and numbering them and when I got to the second to last piston I found that it sits WELL above 0 deck. The deck seems level and every other piston is perfectly at 0 deck. Anyone know what could cause this or what to do? I'm thinking maybe just replace that piston and rod.

20180212_150521.jpg

20180212_150519.jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
Very interesting . I'd like to find out too!
Did you get a chance to measure or compare the con. rod/ piston with the other ones?

I thought you would have had a ton of messages by now helping you out with this. thats very interesting by itself!

DStan

Reaction score
Very interesting . I'd like to find out too!
Did you get a chance to measure or compare the con. rod/ piston with the other ones?

I thought you would have had a ton of messages by now helping you out with this. thats very interesting by itself!

Well now that I actually got it appart I feel like an idiot. I pulled the pan to find out that the rod cap had about 1/4" of slop where the po had pulled two of the pistons before.

budascuda

Reaction score
Don't be too hard on yourself, at least you figured it out without damaging any thing.
Good luck.

Back