• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 Shifting problems

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have a 727 automatic transmission with shifting problems. At this time I don't have a lot of knowledge on this transmission so I'll describe what's going on. Also the car is not numbers matching. It's a driving project that I bought with a lot of issues and 1970-74 model year parts on it. I'll call it a Heinz 57.

3rd gear??? I've never had 3rd gear. Gas mileage- terrible. This 727 transmission came out of a 1974 Ram Charger. Being a truck transmission, is it suppose to have a 3rd gear? If so, how would I be able to get to engage it? Is it a band adjustment /valve body issue or something major that a tranny shop has to do?

Kick down??? I have always had trouble with the transmission kick down. The linkage is attached but I do not have passing gear. I have adjusted the mechanical linkage from time to time, road tested and it was pretty good. The other day when I drove the car, passing gear was not there???

Shifting from first to second gear??? Lately I have to let off of the gas for the transmission to shift from first to second gear. Not sure what's wrong with that???

With these problems I have changed the transmission oil and filter. Nothing unusual seen in the oil pan and the fluid was not burnt. No difference in transmission performance after this.

I am considering changing the transmission later this season. I am hoping for a minor fix/adjustment before then.

Any thoughts on these problems???
Thanks in advance, Tirekickertoo

Adam

Reaction score
Try swapping in a new valve body...like a cheetah; it will change the whole personality of the trans. That truck valve body will not have any shift points you would want in a car.

Your kick down linkage should have no free play, and enough movement to not bind the throttle linkage. If you are using the Ramcharger kick down rod you might want to toss it and get a Lokar cable kick down, easy to set up and very adjustable.

quapman

Reaction score
You can't have passing gear without being in 3rd.

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your knowledge and input. I agree, being a truck transmission, the shifting points are likely not correct for use in a car. I'm not sure how I had passing gear without being in third gear? Starting from a dead stop, I can only hear/feel the transmission shift from 1st to 2nd? Thanks rogue for transmission breakdown and troubleshooting guide. A lot to chew on there...

Tirekickertoo

flohemi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have a 727 automatic transmission with shifting problems. At this time I don't have a lot of knowledge on this transmission so I'll describe what's going on. Also the car is not numbers matching. It's a driving project that I bought with a lot of issues and 1970-74 model year parts on it. I'll call it a Heinz 57.

3rd gear??? I've never had 3rd gear. Gas mileage- terrible. This 727 transmission came out of a 1974 Ram Charger. Being a truck transmission, is it suppose to have a 3rd gear? If so, how would I be able to get to engage it? Is it a band adjustment /valve body issue or something major that a tranny shop has to do?

Kick down??? I have always had trouble with the transmission kick down. The linkage is attached but I do not have passing gear. I have adjusted the mechanical linkage from time to time, road tested and it was pretty good. The other day when I drove the car, passing gear was not there???

Shifting from first to second gear??? Lately I have to let off of the gas for the transmission to shift from first to second gear. Not sure what's wrong with that???

With these problems I have changed the transmission oil and filter. Nothing unusual seen in the oil pan and the fluid was not burnt. No difference in transmission performance after this.

I am considering changing the transmission later this season. I am hoping for a minor fix/adjustment before then.

Any thoughts on these problems???
Thanks in advance, Tirekickertoo

flohemi

Reaction score
Hi, I was a master Dodge tech for 25 years, your trans should shift from 1st to 2nd around 15 to 20 under light throttle and 2nd to 3rd at 25 to 30, the kick down linkage controls when it happens and of course controls passing gear, now you could take the kick down linkage off and perform a manual shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, just do them at the speed I listed and see what happens.

flohemi

Reaction score
Hi, I was a master Dodge tech for 25 years, your trans should shift from 1st to 2nd around 15 to 20 under light throttle and 2nd to 3rd at 25 to 30, the kick down linkage controls when it happens and of course controls passing gear, now you could take the kick down linkage off and perform a manual shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, just do them at the speed I listed and see what happens.

Back