• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Barracuda rust bucket

aussiemark

Reaction score
Thought I would share some photos of a BH23G0B that I saved from a certain death I recently sold it to a guy who will finish the car as I didn't want to collect a car with this much metal replaced. The following panels were replaced with AMD parts roof skin, LH rear quarter, LH front and rear frame rails, one piece trunk floor, trunk floor extensions, A pillar covers, firewall & cowl, one piece floor pan, L&R rear foot wells, trunk lid, L&R inner fenders and a bunch of others.

View attachment 52872

photo2.jpg

photo6.jpg

View attachment 52875

photo10.jpg

car7.jpg

car10.jpg

car11.jpg

car15.jpg

car16.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yep, that’s one helluva project right there! Kudos to you for saving it.:thumbsup:
Is it a complete car or will the parts hunt be commencing?

aussiemark

Reaction score
Yep, that’s one helluva project right there! Kudos to you for saving it.:thumbsup:
Is it a complete car or will the parts hunt be commencing?
It is a complete car minus the engine and transmission. I have already sold it and have a BS23V0B car arriving shortly will post some photos as soon as it gets here.

Ron770

Reaction score
Hi Mark
Im in Perth too, did see the car advertised on gumtree looked like a fair price you were asking. Did sell a vh crashpad to a Mark out your way a few years ago, possibly the same Mark? I am in Padbury.
Regards Ron

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Wow! Power windows, sunroof, ac, rear defogger, Cruise, rear speaker fader, rallye cluster and in a JH car. Is it a very early built car?

rbbruno3

Reaction score
That was a hell of a save you did on the cuda !!! Nice s/r Challenger you have there too

aussiemark

Reaction score
Wow! Power windows, sunroof, ac, rear defogger, Cruise, rear speaker fader, rallye cluster and in a JH car. Is it a very early built car?
It has 4/70 on the door sticker and was delivered 5/15/70 there are 3 owners the guy who ordered it owned it until 2000 then the next guy restored it I bought it from him about 6 years ago and shipped it to Australia. It came with a build sheet and other papers as well as photos of the restoration. It also has the 6 way driver's seat, 8 track player and 3.23 sure grip. I am building a 1970 340 engine for it and have a new AMD R/T hood and a rear valance with exhaust cut outs need to have them colour matched. I will put the original panels in the AMD boxes and put them in storage with the original 318 engine. The 340 is all stock except for Scat conrods (not much more then rebuilt stock but far stronger and lighter plus you can't see them) and JE flat top pistons.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Wow
aussiemark
That was some job you did on the Barracuda bodywork that you sold.
Way to go. Your metal work skills are definitely better than mine!
Always really great to see another one saved rather then scrapped.

Dino2 (1).gif

moparlee

Reaction score
Mark, good job and thanks for saving that Barracuda:thumbsup:. The new owner can now build what he wants. That Challenger is a beauty!

Hemi2c

Reaction score
Mark,
Great job on the panel work!:thumbsup:

I'm looking at replacing my front rails. I was looking at the AMD ones, how did they fit? did you have much trouble with them?
73 Cuda.
Thanks,
Al
Sydney.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Wow
aussiemark
That was some job you did on the Barracuda bodywork that you sold.
Way to go. Your metal work skills are definitely better than mine!
Always really great to see another one saved rather then scrapped.

View attachment 52904[/
I have been following your build and like the way you do things it is restoration with minimal disturbance which is what needs to be done to maintain the originality of a survivor. It is a lot easier to replace a whole panel then to carefully prepare small sections so you can repair the original panel removing the minimal amount of metal. Using a wire buff and chemicals is the best way to prep the area because if you sand blast that sand and dust goes everywhere no matter how careful you are if you are going to sand blast you need to completely strip the car. With the Barracuda I had no choice it was that bad but with the Cuda that is coming I will be doing the same style of work as you to try and preserve the originality of the car.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I have been following your build and like the way you do things it is restoration with minimal disturbance which is what needs to be done to maintain the originality of a survivor. It is a lot easier to replace a whole panel then to carefully prepare small sections so you can repair the original panel removing the minimal amount of metal. Using a wire buff and chemicals is the best way to prep the area because if you sand blast that sand and dust goes everywhere no matter how careful you are if you are going to sand blast you need to completely strip the car. With the Barracuda I had no choice it was that bad but with the Cuda that is coming I will be doing the same style of work as you to try and preserve the originality of the car.
The Thermal Dynamics PAK 25 is good for that type of repair it does about a 30 thou cut so you can put your patch over the area to be repaired then cut & the piece will be an exact fit in what ever shape you cut out

Back