• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Early Snow: Is It In Your Backyard?

wedg2go

Reaction score
I know there is going to be a few Canadian Members that might scoff at this since they had theirs a few week ago, but it snowed yesterday. October 10th?...Amazing to this old desert rat from AZ, now immersed in the Colorado Rockies. Thankfully, it didn't stick where I am located. Otherwise, I would had jumped in the spa, taken a selfie and sent it back to all my old buds in the land of hot-hotter and you got to be kiddin'! Here's a few photos;

100918[1].jpg

Yesterday from the window in my study.
101018[1].jpg

This morning: mountain range shot from my back deck after the clouds have lifted.

And, of course, there is a small show-n-shine this weekend for those that can endure a little cooler weather.

Amazing to see this coming this early in the year and yet - believe it or not - after last winter a welcome relief to the area.

Being snowed-in - December to March - does have it's perks. Starting with Carburetor tuning, oil changes, removing and replacing small parts, touch-ups, and solving the mystery tach. So, stand by! I might have a few questions that need answers......................

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I think the upper peninsula saw some flakes yesterday but hopefully were still a solid month away from any white stuff if not more. Some beautiful pics there!:thumbsup:

wedg2go

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments on the photos. Most of Colorado is very photogenic every season.

Heating the garage starts with 12" thick ICF exterior walls, insulated garage doors, R-38 in the attic (That is where most of the heat will escape) and limited windows with triple glazed glass. Garage one and two - one large garage - gets the majority of it's heat from one large boiler in the adjacent mechanical room. Garage three - the playroom - receives warmth from a 220v force air heater on a disconnect.
101218[1].jpg

220v force air heater from amazon

The force air takes about an hour to raise the temperature to 60+. Over-all, when everything is working, both sides of the garage will see mid-60s when the outside temp is in the teens to 20s. Not bad, considering the volume of that space and that mid-60s is perfect for me. I like it "cool" (proven studies show that cooler temperatures help you think clearly and I need all the help I can get).

BTW - More of the white powdery stuff is forecast for Sunday around my locale.

wedg2go

Reaction score
Oh BTW - In my first post I said "snowed-in". For the record Our area receives snow, but will typically melt off within 4 days or so if left untouched and away from the shade. All of it will stay on the mountains till June or (sometimes) July. "Snowed-in" in my case means where I clear the biggest portion of my driveway of snow and pile it in front of the third car garage where it stays shaded until March or April. Yup! Right where I house my Challenger and Mustang.

I felt compelled to clarify that...Thanks!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Oh BTW - In my first post I said "snowed-in". For the record Our area receives snow, but will typically melt off within 4 days or so if left untouched and away from the shade. All of it will stay on the mountains till June or (sometimes) July. "Snowed-in" in my case means where I clear the biggest portion of my driveway of snow and pile it in front of the third car garage where it stays shaded until March or April. Yup! Right where I house my Challenger and Mustang.

I felt compelled to clarify that...Thanks!

Great way to keep the Challenger and Mustang SAFE!
Dino2 (1).gif

/sixchall

Reaction score
Nope no snow here in SoCal, but did get some rain last night and a little today. Some thunder and lightning accompanied the rain. Temp was low 70’s.

wedg2go

Reaction score
Great day and weather for our little show and shine yesterday! Lite vest over T-shirt weather.

Wake up this morning and...

101418[1].jpg

Remember the mountains in my original post? This photo was taken in the same general direction and yes...That is snow in front of the trees and beyond.
Windy, snow coming down sideways, in the 20s and 30s.
By tomorrow, mid-day, there won't even be a trace amount left on the ground (except surrounding mountains).
Crazy October weather!!!

340challconvert

Reaction score
I have used four top quality jack stands
I would put the car up off the ground with the jacks on the frame rails. Saves the tires from those flat spots.
I also would put down a moisture barrier on the floor, under the car to limit moisture exposure in my unheated garage.
Just my thoughts!

Dino2 (1).gif

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don’t think you have to worry about flat spots unless you haven’t updated to radials.

wedg2go

Reaction score
I don’t think you have to worry about flat spots unless you haven’t updated to radials.

Or if the tires go low on air pressure. I ruined a good set of T/As that way. Too much going back and forth from CO to AZ and ignoring my ride. When it came time to move my ride, I experienced my result from letting it sit for a couple of years. Bad on my part. So now, not wanting to repeat that incident, once a month I check tire pressure, give my hydraulic jack a little work out and turn the tires a quarter turn. It gives me something to do during the long, lofty winters.

Back