• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

T/A with no oil pressure.

IQ52

Reaction score
So the owner has back surgery and cannot drive or shift the 4-speed for very long.

Yet he just has to go for a ride so he enlists a friend to finish driving when he gets tired.

The friend is so worried about driving a car as valuable as a T/A he spends most of his time watching gauges as he finishes the drive home. Wouldn't you know it, about 12 miles from home he say's, "I'm not kidding you, the oil pressure just dropped instantly while I was watching the gauge." He shut it off and coasted to a stop.

We pulled the filter and cut it open............full of bearing material. The engine is in the shop now, we'll see, we'll see.

IQ52

Reaction score
The relief driver was right, the oil pressure dropped immediately. The bearing material seized the oil pump and broke the hex off the intermediate shaft. Instantly no oil pressure.

IRON MAN

Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me and my son in a '65 M'tang. He was at the wheel when the oil pressure gauge went to zero. I instantly turned the key off. Luckily we were only 1/8 mile from home. Pulled the oil pan and the oil pump shaft had broken. Installed a new oil pump shaft and oil pressure back to normal.

IQ52

Reaction score
Too bad this fix won't be that easy.

Getty's TA 015.jpg
Getty's TA 014.jpg
Getty's TA 011.jpg

Daves69

Reaction score
I'll bet the pump rotors look good too.
That upper half of thrust bearing looks suspicious to me.

IQ52

Reaction score
Now have another 1970 standard bore 340 block out getting align honed, decked and bored to +.030". There was a standard/standard forged crank setting in the corner with a coat of surface rust that we'll take to .010/.010. Ross forged pistons and Scat rods going in. We'll redo the previously ported heads with SS 11/32 stem 2.02/1.60 valves, design a custom solid flat tappet cam for it and use EDM face oiling solid lifters. Then too we'll use a billet timing timing chain set up and a Cloyes chain tensioner for a Magnum engine. I don't trust the old oil pickup after it passed all those bearing pieces up to the oil pump, so it will get a new Milodon pickup. Be very interesting to see what it dynos after the rebuild.

IQ52

Reaction score
Got all the parts in, new custom camshaft and everything. Going to pick up the block and balanced rotating assembly tomorrow. I'll get to share the results of the rebuild with everyone but the owner, he died 4 days ago. Damn.

IQ52

Reaction score
It has oil pressure now and 402 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm & 411 HP @ 5,800 rpm.

Getty's TA 061.jpg

IRON MAN

Reaction score
Congratulations! Be interested in knowing what rear wheel net hp is.

cudabob496

Reaction score
I lost all oil pressure when cruising in my 440. Turns out I burped a lifter when I took the engine to 6000 rpm. Synthetic oil probably saved the engine, and it ran well after replacing a few bent push rods.

Back