• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

17 x 9 Cast Rallye Wheels w/ 275/40-17 tires

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat quest. Has anyone used the 17x9 Cast Rallye wheels and the recommended 275/40-17 tires per Classic Industries on all four wheel locations for a stock Cuda car? I have Jeep JK rollers on now, but need tires and wheels to drop body on Schwartz Chassis. Thanks for help. Hellcat1.JPEG

heminut

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's experience with that wheel and tire combo on a stock Cuda would be very relevant to your build. Your build is no where near stock!

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Thanks for response. Schwartz told me that wheel hubs were in stock location and if wheels and tires worked on stock bodies, I would be OK.

I would however gain more space in backspacing since no leaf springs involved and remove stock shock towers.

I pretty sure the 17x9 Cast Rallye wheels and the recommended 275/40-17 would work in rear, but unsure about the front (rubbing outer wheel wells when turning.

I could go with the 17X8 in front but was wanting the forums opinion to give me a bit of direction before making another big investment.

I've been working on body for 1 year and 10 months. So
IMG_0946.jpeg
much rust!

I replaced just about everything accept frame rails, roof, inner front fenders & interior structures in roof area.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
The 275-40-17 is actually a pretty small tire.. especially in diameter. The Year One rims have the correct backspacing (regardless 8" or 9")... and they will properly fit that tire/wheel combo without any problems.

Cuddy

Reaction score
I have the 17 x 9 with 275 40 17 nitto g2 on my challenger. no rubbing or fitment issues. also nitto has tire heights and width's on their website to help with you decision.

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, I will order 17x9 Cast Rallye wheels and I think I will buy some cheap used 275 40 17 tires as rollers.

When project is finished, take to local tire shop for assistance in getting best fitting tires possible. The Nitto's were my first choice.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, I will order 17x9 Cast Rallye wheels and I think I will buy some cheap used 275 40 17 tires as rollers.

When project is finished, take to local tire shop for assistance in getting best fitting tires possible. The Nitto's were my first choice.
Did you get those tires/wheels installed? How do you like them? I want to get the Year One 17" wheels too but was concerned about tire rubbing. Want the most tire (looking at Nitto) that will clear everything on my 72 Challenger. The car came with 255/70/15 rear tires and the passenger side rubbed against the fender on bumps. The car needs more tire (440 w/3.23 gearing). Thanks for sharing your experience.

Xcudame

Reaction score
It's true that sometimes the tolerancing on our Mopars leaves something to be desired. I guess it all goes back to how the assembly line worker was feeling that day. But with the Schwartz chassis, it should be OK, but your body could be a different case altogether. You do have the wider 15" fenders right?

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
It's true that sometimes the tolerancing on our Mopars leaves something to be desired. I guess it all goes back to how the assembly line worker was feeling that day. But with the Schwartz chassis, it should be OK, but your body could be a different case altogether. You do have the wider 15" fenders right?
How would I measure them to find out?

Xcudame

Reaction score
The easiest way to measure 15" vs 14" fenders is to slide your hand between the headlight bucket and outer fender sheet metal. 14" fenders I doubt you can get your fingers in there, 15" fenders you'll whole had will slide in. I saw this done at a swap meet years ago. Prior to that, I was naive and thought all E-Body fenders where the same width. I was like, "Wow, there is a difference!"
I have no idea what the after market is stamping out. Perhaps others do.

moparlee

Reaction score
The easiest way to measure 15" vs 14" fenders is to slide your hand between the headlight bucket and outer fender sheet metal. 14" fenders I doubt you can get your fingers in there, 15" fenders you'll whole had will slide in. I saw this done at a swap meet years ago. Prior to that, I was naive and thought all E-Body fenders where the same width. I was like, "Wow, there is a difference!"
I have no idea what the after market is stamping out. Perhaps others do.
So the difference has nothing to do with the size of the wheel well openings?

1973CudaKJH

Reaction score
I bought the 17 X 9 cast Rallye wheels and they look great, but I put on cheap narrow used rollers until I get body down on frame and painted. I had a lot of work to do on chassis and engine. Frab up transmission mount, installing Schwarts intercooler header (because of clearance on firewall), some wiring in the intercooler area. Not going to be able to get to when engine in engine bay.

To use a Schwarts chassis and hellcat engine, you need special Stainless-Steel headers ($2500:mad:). A very difficult task to install. I had to get wife with little hands to help. Still listening to whining about nails and scratches. Ready to put on chassis, waiting to use body lift at body shop. A lot of cutting and welding to get chassis and body attached plus transmission tunnel for 6 speed manual trans.

I'm hoping in another month or so to have body on frame.

I didn't tub the rear as I'm new to such drastic metal replacement that I had to do on this project and was worried about reference points on inner tubs not being there.

Body shop wants to roll fenders to make an additional 1/2" tire width, then measure for best fit. Overall, I think everything is going to work out fine on wheels.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Tell her I hate when I brake a nail too. But it's not a good day unless you bleed. How many times I have done this it still hurts.You think I would learn! Come to think of it I haven't done it in awhile. 🤨 $2500 ouch!

maxresdefault-3160836937.jpg

Back