• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 challenger A66, pistol grip convertable

SASSY

Reaction score
Hood did not have holes in it for bolted on emblem. Why were some decals vs emblems?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The A66 package was a late release from the Dodge camp, in fact they weren't going to even offer a 340 for the Challenger until they saw that the Cuda was going to have the 340. Since it was a late release the thought is that they couldn't get the emblem right away so the early cars had decals. I have a pair of NOS decals that I had reproductions made from so if you need a pair just let me know, they're 40 bucks a pair. Somewhere in the for sale forums there's a thread about them with pics.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You should also have a non crumple zone hood that the Challengers had if they were built before January of 1970. More pics is what we need. I personally love the 1970 340 Challengers, they're my favorite E bodies.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Nice car.
Do you have the mix for the paint looking at the door jam the body B5 is darker my A66 has the same look i notice on the paint sheet (No quantities just codes Pokerville Iron works) the main base used was Halo Blue

B5A66.jpg

B5A66.jpg

SASSY

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment, no paint code available, but your paint looks extremely close to mine, That was called Halo Blue? my door jams when I lift the carpet show a darker blue so it was not a perfect match...however the color is Nice!

Last edited:

SASSY

Reaction score
You Sir DetMatt1, are a plethora of information! Thanks so much for clearing up the hood issue. I will look for your decals as I do want them. Another odd ball question for you...I have heard of some early engines having multiple colors...Orange and Blue.( maybe a blue block with orange intake) Was I not understanding what I was reading or did these actually exist? Thanks again for sharing your info.
SASSY

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
A66 340 Decals

Matt's 340 hood stickers are excellent quality and are exact duplicates of originals on the early cars.
I purchased a pair from him and they look great!
Needed for all the early A66 cars.

Pics show Matt's decals.
Hood pic shows my originals

A66 340 decals.jpg

Dino pic 12.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I've not heard of the multi colored engine and that hood will look great with the decals!

SASSY

Reaction score
Thanks for the decals, just got them installed (been on vacation)
looking for the stock specs on the 8
70' 340 camshaft....thoughts?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If you had the factory service manual for the car you'd find your answer.

Snap a couple of pics of your new decals installed why don't you.

JAS

Reaction score
Nice A66 car there, yes they all had the Scat Pack decal originally.

jeff968

Reaction score
Sassy, very nice. I'm in CT as well so I'll look for your car at some shows next year. My first Challenger back in 1978 was an A66 convertible, FC7/D32. It is cool your car is out of New Haven. i went to school there.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Old Pics

Sassy, very nice. I'm in CT as well so I'll look for your car at some shows next year. My first Challenger back in 1978 was an A66 convertible, FC7/D32. It is cool your car is out of New Haven. i went to school there.

Jeff, any pics of your old A66 convertible? Would love to see any you may have saved!

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
must have been a decal, no holes found on inside of hood, is there a reason some hoods had decals vs hole drilled emblems?
Early production 340 A66 Challengers: the decals were being put on hoods because the metal emblems were not yet ready. Cars had the emblems from early production through mabe December some time. Your car has a SBD of November 7, 1969, early enough to probably have the emblems. DetMatt1 has some really nice reproduction decals. I purchased two sets from him a while back for my own October built A66 Challenger vert.
Dino2 (1).gif

Back