• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 challenger convertible to hardtop conversion?

BigChungus99

Reaction score
I've seen people do a hardtop to convertible conversion but I'm curious if anyone has done the reverse.

I've found a rusty 70 convertible that I'd love to save, but I'm really looking for a hardtop project. What do you think?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Buy the convertible project and offer it for trade for what you really want. Don’t weld a top on a car that didn’t previously have one, especially an E-body, they’re way too desirable. My .02…

Katfish

Reaction score
I see the problem as you will need 2 cars to make 1 going this route.
Removing a rusted hardtop to make a convertible requires only 1 car.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Definitely worth more as a vert. Get it, offer it up, take that extra cash to get a hardtop in better condition.

In any case, if you put a hard top on the vert you will have to change the tops of the quarters to match hardtop quarters. If you cut off the vert parts you can recoup some of your money by selling the vert specific parts.
The tops of the rear quarters, the top of the windshield and trim and the windows, which are different.

I've not done this, nor have I had the opportunity to own a vert so I'm only speaking of what I have learned through the forums and fellow enthusiasts.

No, I have never seen anyone take a vert and make it a hard top. Only the opposite.

71RRhi

Reaction score
Does it have to be a 70. I have a 74 hardtop that needs a roof and quarters. I Would trade it for a rusty 70 convertible

BigChungus99

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all. If I end up getting the car (the guy is kinda slow walking me), I'll post it here and see if any of you are interested in a possible project trade. It's pretty rough, but it's all there.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Sacrilege, absolute sacrilege to turn an e-body convertible into a hardtop. Just thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents. After all my nickname does have a "27" in it (lol). You'll have no problem flipping it for a hardtop. You already have one offer (71RRhi) and that's even sight unseen.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just trade it. Verts are hard to find to begin with and someone will trade you a hardtop for the vert!
It will be less work and less aggravation

440WB

Reaction score
Definitely worth more as a vert. Get it, offer it up, take that extra cash to get a hardtop in better condition.

In any case, if you put a hard top on the vert you will have to change the tops of the quarters to match hardtop quarters. If you cut off the vert parts you can recoup some of your money by selling the vert specific parts.
The tops of the rear quarters, the top of the windshield and trim and the windows, which are different.

I've not done this, nor have I had the opportunity to own a vert so I'm only speaking of what I have learned through the forums and fellow enthusiasts.

No, I have never seen anyone take a vert and make it a hard top. Only the opposite.
some things I have noticed on a vert quarters cuts would be complete across and down of the rear seat as a sub frame piece ( for the drop top frame to go into and water to channel out ) - the Rockers on a vert have a much large beam inside to support the open shell - the top windsheild frame is closed with trim - the door glass is different - rear interior panels are different -
TO HAVE A TITLE FOR A HARDTOP BORN AS A VERT WOULD BE CONFUSING ...

Back